Spasms and pain relief? I can't go out today

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Spasms and pain relief? I can't go out today

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2011, 22:24

itpainsme wrote:of all the places to hurt,
I just wanted to mention that I would not rule out Botox. I had it done last week along with a fistulotomy and skin tag removal. I am doing really well, no pain with bm's and the only pain I have had is some stinging and burning where he cut the fistula open. I have noticed that the bm's come out much easier now since having the Botox(tmi, I know). I know that everyone's situation is different, but I would consider giving Botox a try. My CRS says he only resorts to LIS when nothing else works due to the risk of incontinence issues. I asked him about it when I had my Botox and fistulotomy. He also assured me that he has had positive results with Botox on his patients. Another variable in the success of Botox may be the location of the injections and also the amount of Botox used. My CRS injected the Botox into all four sides of my internal sphincter muscle. I have read that some inject it around the fissure and some inject it by the external sphincter muscle. I am sure that all of these differences factor in to how well Botox works. My CRS has had a lot of success with it and that made me feel good about my decision. At least with Botox, it is only temporary. I was more willing to risk that first before surgery to permanently cut the muscle. LIS may be the best choice for some, but Botox may be a good option too, it all depends on your situation.

I think it's up to the individual. I personally wanted the permanent solution. I didn't want a temporary and was way toooo chicken to take any more rollercoaster rides with my butt. I was honestly afraid that in the end I would need LIS. That's just me but I totally respect that we all have different views and are willing to try different things:) Hopefully you guys can cast your votes in the Botox poll soon!!

Postby itpainsme » 04 Aug 2011, 22:37

bigbabyboy wrote:Itpainsme:
I couldn't have said it better myself. I had botox a little over a month ago, and it has been helping SO much. It really does depend on the person and their situation, but like you said, why not try it first before something more permanent. You never know, right?! My CRS said the exact same things that yours did, and I find it very reasurring. I go back in September for a check up. She told me that if my sphincter was still tight, that she would do a second round... so far, it's looking like I may not need it :) You said you're a week into having botox; I hope it stays good for you. I had a little bit of a relapse about a week after my botox, but got back on track a few days later, and have felt pretty good since. Best of Luck to you!!

I am glad to hear you are having positive results after Botox too! I feel the same way, it was worth the risk to me to try the Botox knowing it was temporary. I also got a second opinion from another CRS in another city 3 hours from here. I wanted to make sure they weren't connected in the same group lol! The second opinion CRS also advised the Botox as the next step. That made me feel even more confident in making my decision. I am glad to hear you are back on track after a little bit of a relapse. I am being very careful with what I eat and staying hydrated because the thought of having a set back scares me. Please keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same. I have an appointment with my CRS three weeks from now. I will update after that. Best of luck to you too :D
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby itpainsme » 04 Aug 2011, 23:07

Dawn wrote:
itpainsme wrote:of all the places to hurt,
I just wanted to mention that I would not rule out Botox. I had it done last week along with a fistulotomy and skin tag removal. I am doing really well, no pain with bm's and the only pain I have had is some stinging and burning where he cut the fistula open. I have noticed that the bm's come out much easier now since having the Botox(tmi, I know). I know that everyone's situation is different, but I would consider giving Botox a try. My CRS says he only resorts to LIS when nothing else works due to the risk of incontinence issues. I asked him about it when I had my Botox and fistulotomy. He also assured me that he has had positive results with Botox on his patients. Another variable in the success of Botox may be the location of the injections and also the amount of Botox used. My CRS injected the Botox into all four sides of my internal sphincter muscle. I have read that some inject it around the fissure and some inject it by the external sphincter muscle. I am sure that all of these differences factor in to how well Botox works. My CRS has had a lot of success with it and that made me feel good about my decision. At least with Botox, it is only temporary. I was more willing to risk that first before surgery to permanently cut the muscle. LIS may be the best choice for some, but Botox may be a good option too, it all depends on your situation.

I think it's up to the individual. I personally wanted the permanent solution. I didn't want a temporary and was way toooo chicken to take any more rollercoaster rides with my butt. I was honestly afraid that in the end I would need LIS. That's just me but I totally respect that we all have different views and are willing to try different things:) Hopefully you guys can cast your votes in the Botox poll soon!!

I know what you mean about it being up to the individual. I am just the opposite, I am way too chicken to have LIS without at least giving the Botox a chance especially after it being recommended by two different CRS's that I saw. The risk of permanent incontinence scares the he** out of me. I know that LIS has been a life saver for many on this forum and I am so happy to hear that. If the need arises for me to have LIS I will do it, but I know doing the Botox was the right choice for me with my situation right now. I appreciate all the support on this forum and you guys really helped me get through the Botox/fisutulotomy. I just want to have a positive mind set about what I had done to heal and when I read posts telling others that LIS is the only thing that will heal a chronic fissure it kind of brings me down. My CRS is telling me that he thinks the Botox will heal me. Like I said, everyone's situation is different and you are right in saying that it is an individual decision. That being said, I do appreciate hearing other's personal experiences good or bad with a particular kind of treatment. I have learned so much reading about everyone else's experiences dealing with AF's.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 05:07

Image EVERYONE for all your comments! It is so reassuring to know I am not alone! Even family don't understand how much pain we are in.! Today, I am no better as these spasms just won't give up!!! Right now, I would take anything the doc offers me-no questions asked!
It's such a desperate situation to be in. But reading from you all is taking the edge off how low i feel right now!
Image all so very very much! And, hope u all get better asap!!! Andrea Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby val » 05 Aug 2011, 08:56

Image Image Image Image Dawn, that's so funny - having grill marks on your butt - Image Image Image that's what mine looked like too- all puple in criss cross lines, my CRS's face was priceless!
Andrea, how long have you been trying the cream for? Which one do you have? Rectogesic gives bad headaches, but it's pretty good stuff, it might relieve the spasms a bit until your appointment. It takes a while to work though.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2011, 09:02

Itpainsme,
I never read of anyone on this forum becoming incontinent and like I said before I would NEVER use a CRS who wasn't 100% confident this wouldn't happen. Incontinence just wasn't my biggest fear after researching. I was more afraid of not healing than anything. Image
I am sure folks heal with Botox as they do with just the ointments. I hope you guys can post a positive, healing experience with the procedure because I have found by reading this forum over and over that most folks that had the Botox ended up having to get the LIS and that really turned me off (personally) against the procedure. If I had seen a trend where folks were healing from it then I may have had a different view... There has to be a reason so many CRS's are doing it. I'm thinking it has to work. I was never offered it and statistically LIS had the better healing % so I just went with that.
I hope your CRS is right and I totally support your decision. NG said he had awesome results the first three months of his Botox and I believe he said eating crappy and getting brave could have caused the re-tear. There have been folks who had LIS have problems from eating un-friendly fissure foods. I think the key is diet and if the muscle can stay relaxed long enough to heal. I noticed some of you guys mentioned not having too bad of spasms, that may be a factor with your healing being better with the Botox. Image I had horrific spasms the whole time with my fissure Image

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 09:09

Val, I used Rectogesic for 2 months (oh the headaches yippee Image....and it never worked. I now use Anoheal which is the dilizam..one. I have lidocaine too but its not strong enough to numb me. When I was in hospital with this, they gave me lidocaine gel and i couldn't feel a thing.. Heaven! But it's a controlled drug so we can't have it at home. I have 2 fissures and they removed a cyst further up. Am at wits end with this. The way I feel now, i would pay em to give me a colostomy!! Thanx 4 answer x
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 05 Aug 2011, 09:26

Aww, if rectogesic didn't work, then I dont suppose diltiazem will do anything either. After prolonged use it can cause severe itching too!
I can see why you are at your wits end, the spasms and pain are all-consuming. Could you try valium?
val
King Fissure

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 09:42

Maybe? If you take them, did they help? Need to go back to work before I have no job! Tramadol make me spaced out does valium do similar??
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 05 Aug 2011, 10:23

I had a very low dose - and took it right before bed. If I got up in the night I did sway about a bit, but they helped so I didn't care! They can become addictive though so its best to take them for as least a time as possible.
Wow, good luck with working! You're brave, I could hardly move with those spasms!
val
King Fissure