Keeping the fissure clean to promote healing

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Keeping the fissure clean to promote healing

Postby seawalker » 21 Jul 2011, 08:42

I have been using isopropyl alcohol wipes twice a day to clean my fissures. My initial intention for this was to thoroughly clean off the desitin cream i have been using, prior to applying nitro to ensure good absorption of the nitro since desitin is a barrier cream. Then I realized maybe it would also help clean a cut in one of the most bacteria infested/ moist area of our bodies. The downside is that it does sting of course, and causes the external sphincter to tighten up on me for a little while. Im not sure if it is counter productive, but ive been doing this for 4 weeks now and i havn't had any significant healing. I also read someones post about a friend healing by adding hydrogen poroxide to their bath water. It just seems to make sense to keep these fissures as sterile as possible, but its not really ever suggested by docs.
seawalker
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Keeping the fissure clean to promote healing

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2011, 09:43

I think keeping a fissure clean is a good idea, but I wouldn't use alcohol. It dries out the skin and in my opinion wouldn't do anything for the fissure. I wouldn't put alcohol on my lips if they were chapped or cracked and I don't think it would do much for healing if they were.
Most of us don't use wipes or anything with alcohol or chemicals. I was told by my crs after surgery to not even use soap down there-as were some other people.
I've read a post in here where someone was blaming alcohol wipes for getting their fissure? I guess we all have our conclusions as to what helps, hurts, caused our fissure, but our b-holes are not naturally meant to be dried out to the point of using alcohol, just like our lips wouldn't fare well without natural moisture(the skins PH).
Any skin that is continuously dried out will crack. I don't think that would be any different on our butt parts... Just my opinion-Lol

Postby Deleted User 680 » 27 Jul 2011, 11:05

I use tucks wipes, which keep the area clean and help sooth. They have made a huge difference for me, I agree keeping bacteria out've that area will help it heal faster.
Deleted User 680

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Jul 2011, 11:27

IMO the best thing is simply water. Anything else is more likely to be an irritant than it is to heal the fissure. Remember that the root cause of the fissure isn't infection -- it's high resting anal pressure, which cleanliness has nothing to do with. Using wipes on it may indeed keep the area clean, but it doesn't address the root problem, and it may or may not help.
I thought my CRS was nuts for telling me that soap irritates the anal area, but after about 2 years of experimentation, I have to say that she's right. Soap really dries and chafes the area. I don't use it on my butt anymore, I just rinse my ass in a little water in the bathtub and that's it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 27 Jul 2011, 13:13

Same here NG. I just use warm water. If I use a baby wipe, I rinse it out with water- even if it's hypoallergenic and alcohol free. No chemicals go on my rear! Image

Postby Soreguy » 28 Jul 2011, 06:42

Do not use anything with alcohol in it, its not good for sores and can interupt healing.
I am not sure if just a bath is enough, I was cleaning a bit internally actually in between the crack of the AF until I would see a tiny spot of blood on the tissue. It was the only thing besides pain killers that would keep the pain away.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 12:51

Soreguy,
I am 100% agreeing with NG and all medical literature that says high anal resting pressure is the reason chronic fissures don't heal. NG and I both had LIS and are healed.I used the same method of cleaning after surgery that I did before which was and is warm water. If warm water wasn't enough, then I wouldn't have healed after surgery because that's all I have ever used. It's all about the spasm/resting pressure. Without them, a fissure heals.
Since you have said previously you still have spasms, you probably also have a high resting pressure. If you read on this board a number of people have had fissures, healed and went years before another one occured. There was one lady who had manage to heal fissures and live with them happening off and on for 13 years. She eventually got another one had to have the surgery.
I personally don't think cleaning the inside to the point of seeing blood is going to do anything for a fissure. I imagine you may be one of the folks who are in the category of a conservative/ or with one of the ointments working and healed. This is just my opinion!:)

Postby kristiblue » 13 Aug 2011, 07:26

I immediatly jump in a warm shower right after a BM. Wiping is history.After I feel clean.I drop shower mode to bath mode for my warm sitz bath.I feel like getting all my body clean first like feet and all over skin pre bath prevents any bacteria or dirt to be in your bath water.If I use any soap at all its Dial antibacterial,and very little.If I were rich I'd have a bidet installed :)
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby of all the places to hurt » 13 Aug 2011, 16:36

There is NO WAY that I could ever clean the inside of my butt. Not a single prayer lol. It's too sore just putting the creams on. I have found the only relief I get is to sit in the bath immediately after a bm and like most of you use little soaps.. I do put some dettol in the water but not much. Then I do opposite to kristiblue and then I have a shower. I find that sitting in a warm bath relaxes the muscle so so much. Wud be lovely to have a bidet though!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14