It's all over but the healing!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

It's all over but the healing!

Postby ren0318 » 25 Aug 2011, 10:26

Just wanted to update everyone, had my sphincterotomy and a fissurectomy yesterday. Surgery it self went well. For my anesthesia, they put me to sleep and then put a breathing tube down my throat, when I woke up I was having some problems, coughing a lot and my oxygen went down to about 88 so they had to give me some oxygen in recovery. Once we got that under control I was taken back to the outpatient area where I had a feast of diet pepsi and graham crackers. I felt no pain in my bottom...Got to come home about 2:30. I did have a WHOOPER size headache, but I think that was due to the anesthesia too. I did go to my daughter orientation! I was somewhat out of sorts from the pain meds, but I made it through.
I slept pretty well last night, I did wake up a few times, to have a cold drink, as my throat is still hurting. Now this morning my bottom is starting to burn, sting a bit. I have started my sizt baths, the dr sent me home with an antibiotic, Vicodin, Diazapram, Lidocain ointment. She gave me a script for another cream(sorry don't know the name), but it has sulfa in it and I'm allergic so she told the pharmacy to not fill that one.
It turns out that I did still have a fissure in there, guess it was just being quite:)
I'm pretty sleepy so far today, I haven't taken any pain meds since about midnight. Thanks for everyone's encouragement and support!
Time for a nap, I'll check in later:)
Ren
ren0318
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: It's all over but the healing!

Postby Guest » 25 Aug 2011, 14:53

Congrats on getting your surgery over, Ren! I'm not surprised at all that your fissure was hiding. They're evil Image
Take care of yourself! Stool softeners, drink plenty of water and the baths:) I'm sure you know the drill by now!
Keep us posted!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Aug 2011, 16:25

Congratulations Ren!!! Way to go!
Image Image

Take it easy and pamper yourself! You are now on your way to healing and getting your life back. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby ren0318 » 25 Aug 2011, 19:10

Thanks friends! Today has been a little ruff. Had my first BM, mainly liquid (I assume due to the sena-s the doc has me on), the BM itself did not hurt, but the after math....burning and stinging, a bit of bleeding all day too.. I've tried to cut back on the pain meds, don't want any constipation issues, I have taken the diazepam though, boy those things knock me out!
Hoping day 2 will be a little better.
ren0318
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Aug 2011, 07:35

Hey Ren! I had watery BMs after my surgery too. Ouch! Those stung! I think that since your BMs are loose, the pain meds shouldn't cause many problems, constipation-wise. But go with your instincts - you know your own body. I think it takes a while for the system to settle down a bit after surgery. At least from what I've read here, it seems many of us had a few days to a week of somewhat chaotic BMs before things settled into a more comfortable routine. I'm sure that you'll have better poops very soon!
I hope day 2 goes very well! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 26 Aug 2011, 11:08

Ren,
I'm not sure what senas is but if you had a routine that was working before surgery then I would get back to that and maybe up your softeners a little if you use the pain meds.
Here's a link from the surgery threads. I'm not sure if you read it already. It's Cheryl who created this forums surgery experience. She had loose stools too after surgery after being told to take laxatives post-op.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4-my-fissure-surgery-experience#4

Postby ren0318 » 27 Aug 2011, 07:29

Thanks for sharing Dawn good post! No BM yesterday at all, YIKES, so I'm a little worried for what's to come today....I'm feeling pretty good, except one area (most be where she cut) is pretty tender almost feels a little swollen. Does using epsom salts in the sitz bath help at all? I'm not in as much pain as I thought I would be. Now when I do take my sitz bath, I have to be very careful how I sit, if I spread my butt to much that really hurts so I have to keep my legs really closed so I don't make it worse:)
ren0318
Salt Bather