Is there hope/help?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Is there hope/help?

Postby kellster » 07 Sep 2011, 21:23

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been suffering from the excruciating pain, intolerable itch and all over gross-ness of anal fissures for 10+ years. Nothing has helped. Will I have to live with this forever? It hurts, hurts, hurts! I'm at the end of my rope. Thank you for this forum, I know that I'm not alone, yet I don't know if this will ever end. I hope you all have found some relief.
kellster

Topics: 3

Re: Is there hope/help?

Postby Guest » 08 Sep 2011, 05:01

Hi Kellster,
I had LIS last year after suffering for 8 months. There's really no need to suffer. The surgery was the best thing I ever did. I wish I had done it months before!

Postby kellster » 08 Sep 2011, 09:01

Hi Dawn, what is LIS surgery? I've never heard of it. My doctors have never mentioned surgery before.
kellster

Topics: 3

Postby val » 08 Sep 2011, 10:03

Hi there!
LIS is an abreviation of lateral internal sphincterotomy which is just a little surgery where they make a cut in the anal muscle to promote blood flow to heal the fissure. Usually the muscle is too tight and small and goes into spasm, then the fissure doesn't heal.
You shouldn't have to suffer like this - get a referral to a colo rectal surgeon, and see what they suggest.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 08 Sep 2011, 14:26

Hi Kell,
Do you mind me asking where are you from?
I'm not sure what kind of doctors you've been seeing, but after 10 years, your fissure is chronic and LIS surgery should have been talked about by now... Honestly I can't believe it's never been mentioned!
If you haven't already been seeing a CRS( colorectal surgeon) then you need to get a referral, as Val said.
They specialize in fissures and butt problems and should know and be confident in the surgery... If you already have been seeing a CRS, and they haven't brought up or suggested surgery, then you definitely need to try and find another one.
This is definitely not a life long problem! With a good CRS who is well qualified, it can be taken care of.