Fissures after D&C...Shall i have surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fissures after D&C...Shall i have surgery?

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2011, 07:27

Pss.. I wanted to tell you I'm very sorry about your miscarriage. Image
I had a miscarriage and a D&C 8 years ago and it is heart breaking. I got preg again and had a little girl a little over a year after that.

Postby Val76 » 16 Sep 2011, 11:44

Hi there....
I am from Germany and very happy that I found this forum as I couldn`t find something similiar on german websites. I have got also 3 fissures at least. Since the birth of my daughter I have got this problem ( around 2,5 years) and I am also thinking about surgery, because I am fed up with this problem ! Always afraid to go to toilet and to be careful what I am eating. I use Lactulose and I am eating only cereals,milk products, fruits, veggies, fibres etc. , only small amounts of fish and meat. The fissures always heal with Rectogesic, but then they re-tear. I am also very afraid because of this op, especially after it, but also can not stand it anymore. Good to read that there are people that healed afterwards....
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2011, 14:47

Hi Val76,
Welcome to the forum.
I was scared of the surgery too. I'm very happy with my results. It's almost been a year now since I had it.
Sounds like you have a good diet. The re-tears pushed me to the point of choosing LIS. I could always go a few weeks , then they would happen again.
Believe me, the surgery was so much better than living with the fissure. Like others have said, it's not an instant cure but it almost felt instant to me. I haven't had spasms or shards of glass bm's since. For me the surgery was a whole different ball game than the fissure.
Just a really bruised feeling for a couple of weeks decreasing gradually in that time. It was worth it to be sore knowing that I was really healing and not just kidding myself like before with the ointments and baths.
Don't be afraid of the surgery. I was nothing like the fissure for me.
The main thing is that you need to find a very well qualified CRS who has done this surgery more times than they could count.
I researched this forum and had so much support with what questions to ask my CRS , etc before surgery. If I could give one piece of advice it would be to ask questions before letting just any doctor do this surgery. Never go into any procedure blindly without knowing what's being done, and why. You also want to ask your CRS if they have ever made anyone incontinent. The answer should be never!
With a good surgeon, there's really nothing to it but taking it easy for a couple of weeks, good diet and stool softeners for much longer but finally getting your life back!

Postby Val76 » 17 Sep 2011, 09:08

Hi Dawn,
thank you for the support. It helps so much to hear sucessful healing processes !!! On german websites I read so many horror stories about it....and I am so afraid of everything regarding this problem: the exames,the op, after...many people felt worser afterwards than before. That`s why it took me so long to decide to go for an op....because I see no other way to get rid of it ! Like this it is no life anymore !!! I am still afraid, but to read in this forum gives me brave to really do an op.....
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6