Things that have helped with cleanups lately

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Things that have helped with cleanups lately

Postby Bambi » 12 Jul 2011, 15:05

OK- so since so many of us seemed to be dealing with the whole "leakage" thing, I thought I'd share a couple of things that have helped me, especially when away from home. I've really tried to cut down on the actual washing down there with soap in the past few weeks (I'm several months out from surgery though!) as it seemed to possibly be drying things out even though I am using a very gentle cleansing liquid.
1. Balneol: This has helped and I have started carrying around a bottle in my purse in a little baggie. I also now have some in the bathroom at home and use it after first using a regular wipe. I've used Cottonelle or generic equivalent (I actually prefer the texture of Walmart's brand) since as long as I can remember anyway.
2. I bought this thing called a "GoToob" when I saw it in the checkout line at Whole Foods. It is just an empty silicone bottle for putting any kind of liquid in. I had used ones previously I bought elsewhere and lot of them are harder plastic and don't do a good job of squirting upwards. But this little thing is great at shooting water up there when it is full- after it is about half full it doesn't have enough strength. So now I have one of those in my purse in a baggie as well and one in the bathroom and use it after the Balneol (I have a fear of developing a sensitivity to things and prefer that rinsed off feeling). I have to say this thing is pretty expensive for what it is and I've had one stop working as well, but I now have several. I think it is around 7$ but I'm having success using it as a portable bidet of sorts. A couple of good squirts from it at least. And after every use, I refill it and put it back in the purse.
3. Ok- so yes, the purse is getting really heavy now! Pretty soon it will be back to PT for shoulder issues.
4. When I first had the fissure come up two years ago and it went away in 4-6 weeks, I used a combo of Tucks wipes, stool softeners, and A and D ointment. With this one, I've stayed away from the witch hazel products because I thought I remembered reading somewhere that wasn't such a good idea with fissures. Plus it stings some. But the round container you can buy of these I still had around in the bathroom and they had kindof dried out so they were barely damp. I have been using those lately to wipe with the Balneol and it works better for me than using a regular wipe or cotton ball. They are very soft and thin so get up in there more easily (my anatomy has always been small and it has definitely changed post surgery so I seem to have "nooks and crannies" syndrome or something anymore. (ack! TMI!) Anyway, I ran out of those but realized I had an unopened jar of them. Those were really drippy with the witch hazel and that was ok but I didn't want to irritate things as I am currently only having some irritation at the skin tag removal site. So I have been rinsing them out, squeezing them out and using them more for the texture and size of the wipe.
Anyway- thought why keep things to myself if they are working and might work for someone else. Others probably have tips as well.
The "GoToob" is made by "humangear" in California. They list a website: humangear.com on the package .
Best to everyone- we are off on a hot springs tour of southern Colorado tomorrow. That is also a really good tip- if you have one nearby I have found I get better after a day of soaking in these. I want one in my backyard!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Things that have helped with cleanups lately

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2011, 14:34

Thanks for sharing Bambi! I need to get one of those "GoToob" things. :)

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 10 Sep 2011, 12:08

Hey Dawn and Bambi,
Have either of you told your CRSs about this? I haven't been back to see mine, although I want to. I just ran out of my good insurance and didn't want to pay a fortune to have him take a look and ask him a few questions. Did either of them have anything to say about the leakage? Is there no way to stop it now that the surgery is done? I know that for me, it is one spot in particular that consistently bothers after BMs and becomes irritated if it isn't cleaned very well. Even cleaning it ends up irritating it sometimes. I just know it bugs the hell out of me on a daily basis and Balneol does help, but like Bambi said in another post, when you are in a hurry and don't get the area cleaned well enough, it really burns. :(
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2011, 18:40

Hey Elizabeth,
I haven't been back to my CRS since my post-op appointment. Everything you've said sounds familiar. I'm so fed up with it. I keep telling myself it could be worse...But I still wish it wasn't happening at all!

Postby Bambi » 27 Sep 2011, 14:39

I haven't been back to my CRS in a while- I went back once after the post-op (I can't remember how long- maybe around 6 weeks) because I was concerned about the irritation and the area of the skin tag. He felt like everything looked great. He did say that scar tissue is just more sensitive and it takes a while to "toughen up". He said to call him in 6 months if I was still having "hygiene issues" as I had called them. I guess that would be about now- however, it is so much better now and so mild and seems to be continually improving. I have had loose bowels today and even with that it hasn't been too bad and I don't feel the need really to check back with him (yea!). When I asked him about how long it would take for the scar tissue to "toughen" he said maybe until the end of this year or into early 2012. So I think he had a very realistic view of things although I didn't like hearing that at the time. Dawn, I hope yours gets better. For a long time, mine seemed to be so predictable and pretty much at the same level and I thought- ok this is just what I have to deal with, but now I have renewed hope. But you know it scares me to be vocal about doing well- back to my superstitious anxiety!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Guest » 27 Sep 2011, 20:28

Hey Bambi,
I'm scared to say this but I think mines getting better too.
I will be a year post-op next month and things have slowly progressed with the irritation. What seems to have really improved is that it doesn't irritate the area as much when it does happen. I totally feel like your CRS is right about the skin tag and that area toughening up. I really appreciate you sharing! I never realized until now that the scare tissue from the tag removal was probably what was causing so much of the irritation. It just makes perfect sense that as it heals and gets stronger that the irritation/ raw feeling would be less.
I'm thankful for how much things have improved and I'm happy and surprised to see it progressed even after the 8 month mark when I posted. I kind of thought like you that it would just be a new way of life that I would have to deal with. I just thought by 8 months post-op it would be what it would be. I never thought it would still be progressing at that point.
Thank you so much Bambi! I really wish I would have asked my CRS about this... I hope you continue to move forward!