Hemmie Banding/ligation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Hemmie Banding/ligation

Postby Jen » 19 Jul 2008, 21:55

Tim -

Hope your still feeling well!
About 90% of my pain occured during a BM, about 10% always occured right after or at random times. Lars actually posted an interesting thread today on the type of fissure pain people deal with in the general fissure discussion forum. Take a look at it! It seams many people do not have pain during a BM like you, just pain afterwards. I guess I am the odd ball when it comes to this! Image

Also, my BM's are also thinner. I think this is due to me going to the bathroom more often. Back in my pre-butt problem days, I would have a BM once every 3 days or so and they would be very large.

Jen :conga:
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2008, 07:16

Thank you all for your support. I will have to get my own profile I suppose!
Tim

Postby cherylk » 20 Jul 2008, 08:19

Tim,
Good luck with your appointment.
Jen,
I sent you a PM.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2008, 08:25

Thank you!

Postby Jen » 20 Jul 2008, 14:59

Tim - There is no need to get your own account - you and Melissa are a great team!

Good luck at the appointment and make sure to let me know how it goes!!!

Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2008, 07:51

This is I guess encouraging information. I may take more than one time to be effective.
Instructions Following Rubberband Ligation of HemorrhoidYour hemorrhoids were treated today with a technique known as rubberband ligation. This method utilizes the application of a small rubberband over tissue associated with an internal hemorrhoid. The elasticity of the rubberband causes slow tightening and strangulation of the tissue. This may result in the feeling of a dull ache for 36-48 hours following treatment. You may also have a feeling of fullness in the rectum. This will be noted as soon as rubberbands are applied. You may have the feeling that you want to have a bowel movement. This dull ache is usually well controlled with Tylenol.
The banded tissue will usually fall off in 5-7 days. Frequently, you will not notice when this occurs, but occasionally, some bleeding will occur. Should severe bleeding occur at that time, you should contact your physician immediately.
It frequently takes 2-4 treatments at intervals of 4-6 weeks in order to remove all internal hemorrhoids. Only one hemorrhoid or perhaps two are treated at a time in order to minimize discomfort.

Postby dwarfs8 » 19 Sep 2011, 08:46

hi jen and tim... gosh, i was searching for banding in this forum and found this super old thread, hopefully u guys can still offer some good advice!
i have internal hems from the beginning before my fissure appeared. After 5 months, my fissure is almost healed, however my hems got worse, they frequently prolapsed! But they do go back after sometime, hence grade 2 hemms now...but i got a bad feeling it's walking towards grade 3 given the rate...(i seriously do not understand as i did not quite strain at bms or have constipation, stools are soft and easy).
So now, while trying to heal using conservative measures, am researching more on RBL too...
May i ask after doing the RBL, what's the pain scale like?
And what's the prep before doing RBL, when doing the banding, is it painful?
So is there any chance where banding fails to kill the piles? And since it leaves a scar after the hemm drops off, does the scar cause any complications / pain in future?
hopefully can get some advice from you guys.. thanks
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby angelofthedawn » 25 Sep 2011, 15:55

Hi dwarfs8,
I have had the RBL on 6 hemmies. It was very easy and I would highly recommend it. The pain is negligible and for me I started to feel relief from the proceedure when we were about half way done. The way it worked for me is I had only one done a day. I had three done in three separate days, a two day break and then the other three on three separate days. The pain is really nothing compared to the hemmies themselves and the fissure. ( I have both).
The process for me was to go the the Doctors office and he did it right there in his office. No freezing or anything like that. He just puts an instrument up there and in a matter of seconds he is done. There is no prep as far as cleaning out your system or fasting - which is awesome. You are in and out in no time.
The pain has been described as a full filling. I would agree with that. I was glad I had the two day break as I was feeling like I needed a break before I had more banding done. Then in a week or so time it was over. I still had pain from the fissure, but the amount of pain I was in was so much less after the banding. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering. It is easy, fast and really you do not feel that uncomfortable at all. It is worth it.
As far as scarring goes I will know more this week after my LIS surgery. I am getting a colonoscopy and the surgery on Thurs. Then I will have a full report on how things are looking in there. But for me the pain went from a 12 on a scale of 1-10 to a 6 which was a life saver for me. I could start to function again.
If you have a good, knowledgeable, physician I would say go for it. I gave mine a big hug after the banding because it really changed my life.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
angelofthedawn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Sep 2011, 07:47

thanks angel for ur advice, now i am monitoring my progress, seems well these few days after i have used this horse chestnut cream from planetary herbals, it works quite a wonder so far.
I have also started on vit c WITH bioflavonoid, as i can't take daflon which will cause my stools to harden (unfortunately as my CRS said, i'm in this small grp of people who got such side effects)...
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19