healing question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

healing question

Postby val » 20 Sep 2007, 13:09

when the creams have stopped/controlled the spasms and the really screaming pain seems to have(hopefully) ended, if it still hurts when I have a BM, does that mean I've made any kind of progress, or is the diltiazem and valium just kind of making it seem as if it's healing when it's really still there. If you know what I mean!
I had really bad bleeding, but have only had one spot in about 3 weeks, so that's gotta be a good sign. Hasn't it!!!!??
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: healing question

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Sep 2007, 13:21

The thing to understand, Val, is that the BP creams, the ditiazem and nefedipine, do not work directly to heal the fissure. What they do for us tight-anused-people is create a "looser" environment so that actual healing of the fissure can occur "naturally." Once the sphincter and other areas in the anal canal loosen up, the constricted blood flow is relieved, and more blood can reach the site of the fissure for healing. LIS surgery does the same thing, only more quickly and of course with the potential complications of surgery.
The BP creams have stated success rate of healing of about 50-67% depending on which source you refer to. But even if complete healing of the fissure does not occur through their use, they still offer greatly reduced pain and thus a higher quality of life.
Love your avatar, BTW!!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 20 Sep 2007, 13:39

Couldn't have said it better, Kim. I just wanted to add that the fissure brochure at my CRS's office even said that fissures take a VERY long time to heal. (they capitalized "very").

Now that the spasms have stopped, expect some more random ones. Also expect that the pain you feel during bm will decrease gradually over the next few months. You might consier assessing yourself on a bi-weekly basis; day-by-day is too depressing.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby dano » 20 Sep 2007, 21:35

once i started using the higher strength nitro cream it only took 2 months for everything to stop,i even had the "poops" once after the majority pain was gon,expecting to reinjure my self,but it didnt happen,i go to the dr early nov to get my abcess/hemmie whatever looked at.hopefully he wont manhandle me and rip something...
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby val » 22 Sep 2007, 08:43

ooh, sounds painful Dano, I wish you luck, it would be awful to be back where you started! How long did yours last altogether? Did you heal naturally or with surgery?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86