First bowel movement after surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: First bowel movement after surgery

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 22:08

Huge BM's are pretty common after surgery Image I guess the muscle is really relaxed Image No doubt after 4 days of not going things could be backed up. It should get better as they things start moving. Hopefully your BM's will become regular as before surgery now and less painful!

Postby Sue1962 » 17 Oct 2011, 05:10

ok thanks for making me feel better. I will try the miralax. I know many of you have had good luck with it. I will just take baby steps with it. I did go this morning with the MOM and it wasn't too bad, just in severe spasm right now. Getting ready for my oatmeal and advil and off to work....Have a great day everyone and thanks again for all the comforting words. Even though this is literally a pain in the ass, just knowing I am not alone and can actually talk about this is very comforting and keeps my anxiety in check.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby rosebud » 19 Oct 2011, 17:26

You poor thing. I am 4 weeks after extensive surgery (very deep and large anal fissure, rectal abcess and hemo. rridectomy. My first BM was just like yours. I wanted to die and thought I might. My suggestions:
Sitz bath after every BM (in the bathtub 15 - 20 min).
Don't wipe... at least for a good while and if you do, use baby wipes with no alcohol. I took 10 to 20 sitz baths a day at the beginning...no kidding. But what a huge help they were.
Water, water, water.
I took Senekot maximum dose (8 ea. four in morn. and four in the evening). Especially taking morphine, oxycodone and valium.
Lots of high fiber. I am not eating meat or dairy yet. I eat oatmeal every morning, fruit, high fiber english muffins, bran muffins, veggies, mashed potatoes (staying away from salads or those foods that upset my stomach).
Huge is the Metamucil three times a day (HUGE lifesaver) mentally as well as physically. The anxiety was and can at times be overwhelming especially when it comes to food.
Eat small meals throughout the day. I make sure to include one soluble and one insoluble fiber with each meal.
After one month, I am no longer taking the Senekot (weaned myself of it) now that pain pills are not significant. Hang in there dear one....
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6