LIS on 10/21 for 4 month old AF - so far so good

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS on 10/21 for 4 month old AF - so far so good

Postby linda » 22 Oct 2011, 08:59

Yesterday morning I had LIS on a 4 month old fissure and so far so good. I was home from hospital by noon and took an 800mg Ibuprophen (which I take almost daily for head/neck pain anyway). Vicadin will put my bowels into severe lockdown so unless I was out of my mind with pain I was avoiding it and luckilly for me I was able to.
So this morning woke up fealing pretty good but was scared to death to poop. I always feel good till that morning bm and honestly could probably have held it in for a week even with Miralax and colace. I filled up the bathtub tub first so it was ready when I was done going, then it was time to try... and it really wasn't that bad :) . I have mild discomfort right now and am a little groggy (probably from the sedative) but that's it! Nothing like the pain from my fissure.
I think I'm probably doing well because I didn't wait too long, thanks to all of you. Searching for answers and finding this site was just amazing. I'm off work for a week so I will be sure to update. I know that reading others has helped me so much. Image
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: LIS on 10/21 for 4 month old AF - so far so good

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Oct 2011, 09:54

YAY!!! congrats!!! I'm glad you are not having a terrible time. I have a consult with my Dr. in a couple of weeks. I have been battling for a couple of years. Tired of this consuming my life. I was happy to see another good post. I am so apprehensive about the whole thing. I also agree about this site. It is amazing!!! Do you take the miralax and colace together? I have been doing MOM..not to bad but not the result I am looking for. I got miralax and using it tonight. Colace quit working for me. Continue to heal pain free and please keep us informed!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby linda » 22 Oct 2011, 12:58

Hi Sue, I'm glad you called your Dr., either way.
I have been using colace on and off for 20 years and your right, it doesn't work and I've even tried the one with laxative. My system gets really messed up around my period (nothing I can do about that) so I came on here and asked if this happens to others. Dawn told me about the Miralax (and I had a bottle in hand within an hour :) ). It takes a few days to kick in, but it works GREAT!!!! I still take the colace at night but I'm really not sure why.
You're right about this consuming your life. I was just so sick of talking and thinking about my bum all the time. It's just so humiliating :oops: but I guess that's me. If I hadn't found this site I would probably still be hurting. I was not too afraid of surgery because I was terrified of feeling this pain forever.
linda
Salt Bather

Postby Away PITA! » 22 Oct 2011, 15:32

That is great news Linda. I went 2 days ahead of you. Wish I'd skipped the pain meds...I think that set me back a day or two. Keep us posted!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Mike530 » 22 Oct 2011, 19:46

Good to hear everything went well linda. I am due for surgery in 2 weeks. I see you're in Mass, if you dont mind me asking..which Hospital/CRS did your procedure? Thanks.
Mike
Mike530
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby dwarfs8 » 23 Oct 2011, 00:40

hi linda, very glad for u. rem to stick to ur fissure diet and fissure caring routine. i'm sure soon, u wld heal! and ya, and rem to take pressure off ur bum for a while!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby linda » 23 Oct 2011, 09:35

Day 2 – couldn’t be better. I have no pain at all (a little itch). I am a morning pooper and that went well too, phew!!! To think last Sunday I was on my bed crying till noon cuz by butt hurt so bad.
I look at this surgery differently than some and I’d like to explain. I was in a bad car accident a LONG time ago and have suffered with head and neck pain since. I’ve tried EVERYTHING and until recently nothing worked. I am now getting Botox every 8 weeks, 50 injections in my head and neck (I’ve done it 3 times) and its working. When this AF appeared I was so depressed. When the CRS said I needed surgery to heal this thing that was it. The nurse gave me the details over the phone and I was scheduled in 5 days. The only question I had was “can I still get my Botox next week?” I’m not brave or impulsive just sick of pain, plus I had all my question answered here...thanks again.
Hi Mike, I'm happy to answer ANY questions. I went to Umass memorial in Worcester and Paul Sturrock is my CRS. Good luck with your surgery! P.S. So the nickname Masshole has taken on a whole new meaning these days, lol. (that's what they call Massachusetts drivers) Image
linda
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 23 Oct 2011, 16:46

Well Congratulations Linda!! Sounds like you are doing awesome!
How cool it is to think that just a week ago you were in so much pain and 2 days after surgery you are much better off. That's exactly how I felt. It's so good to see all the positive post on here lately! :)

Postby Sue1962 » 23 Oct 2011, 17:33

Hurray!! Image I am so glad you are not having any problems!!! Makes me feel better about all of this. I hope I am as lucky as you. Are you taking any pain pills? or just the ibuprofen? Your story is one I hope to share. I am so having the surgery!! I have been miserable for 10 days now and my tag is driving me nuts, burns,aches all day. Continue to heal pain free and keep us posted!! Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby linda » 25 Oct 2011, 07:49

It's day 4 and all still good. I have had no bleeding, no loss of control (I was really worried about that) and no serious pain, just an itch but I'm sure that's the healing.
Dawn, you have been so supportive and helpful. I really appreciate it. The people that keep this site up and running are amazing. When I saw Tony posting his day to day post-op updates I was so happy. Every day I would come on to see how he was. And to be able to ask these personal questions, it just all helps so much.
Sue, I hope yours goes this well too! I only used Ibuprophen and tylenol because I didn't need anything stronger, luckily. Narcotic pain killers are like concrete to my system, however if I had needed them I would have absolutely taken them, just with lots of miralax and a fiber/veggie diet.
linda
Salt Bather