Fissurectomy or Sphincterotomy??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissurectomy or Sphincterotomy??

Postby fissurepaingy » 25 Jul 2011, 16:32

Ok, so I got examined by one of the top, board certified CRS guys in my area.... he explained to me at my examination what the surgery would entail, and I believe he said sphincterotomy... and he did explain that what they do is make an incision and he drew it out on a piece of paper, and he said this allows the muscles to relax so that the fissure can heal itself... ANYWAY, I don't know if the secretary just doesn't know what she's talking about or what, but when I called to schedule my surgery, she said "for a fissurectomy." I didn't think anything of it, and I hung up the phone... then I thought to myself that... no, that is a completely different procedure, right? So I called back and told the secretary that I believe the CRS explained to me that it was a sphincterotomy.. and it sounded like she just wanted to get me off of the phone, because she said "oh.... well.... it could be both" I then insisted I believed the CRS described the procedure for a sphincterotomy to me... she sounded very unsure with pauses and just said "well he won't know that until the day-of." Should I be concerned here?? I mean, the CRS is very good, he's been around over 30 years. I'm sure he'll do what he described to me, and not the fissurectomy? It's just the secretary seemed to have no idea of what was going on. I'm sure the CRS would know if he had to also perform a fissurectomy prior to the date of surgery, right??
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Fissurectomy or Sphincterotomy??

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2011, 16:51

Hey there,
The secretary in my CRS's office was always screwing up surgery dates, procedures,etc. It really was a pain in my arse as much as my fissure.
The day of your procedure, ask again if you will be just having LIS. I'm sure that your CRS won't mind talking with you before. You will be signing papers before any procedure and can clear up exactly what will be done.

Postby jess70301 » 25 Jul 2011, 22:16

It sounds like the same thing my Dr. Explained to me relaxing the muscle (otomy) would mean an incision, (ectomy) is a partial or complete removal. To me it sounds like an incision to allow the muscle to relax so the fissure will heal on its own. I am having to decide to have the same procedure. Good luck!
jess70301

Topics: 1

Postby fissurepaingy » 26 Jul 2011, 07:23

Yeah, I just think the secretary didn't know what she was talking about. I'll be sure to verify it the day of surgery. Even the Anal Fissure pamphlet the CRS gave me the day of my appointment explained the method of removal is LIS.... August 11th can't come soon enough!
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby BaronVonDeucerton » 14 Nov 2011, 13:24

fissurepaingy wrote: ANYWAY, I don't know if the secretary just doesn't know what she's talking about or what, but when I called to schedule my surgery, she said "for a fissurectomy."

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me. I called and got the same response! I believe that they put it under the same code. I was freaked out because fissurectomies are not at all the same as LIS, and actually LIS is what is supposed to heal the actual fissure.
BaronVonDeucerton

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion