Had surgery 6 Hours ago

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had surgery 6 Hours ago

Postby C0nz » 09 Dec 2011, 04:24

Hey all,
Thought I would share my story to hopefully help others out there, have read this forum a lot when thinking about my surgery and it was great to get an idea of what I was in for and that others are going through the same things I have.
My AF started getting worse 2 years or so ago now, prior to that I had always had pain and intermittently bleeding from when I was 6 or 7, now 25!
In the past year I have had more people see my behind or prod it then I care to think about, I have tried Anusol, Venepro, Diltiazem (SP?) another cream, some wheatgrass cream and also Rectogesic, Rectogesic worked the best for me, I could almost heal my AF with that stuff and it took away any pain or itching, but never quite finished the job, none of the other creams deserve any more mention really.
So got fed up and finally asked for surgery, over here we have a public health system so I was put on a waiting list, waited for almost 6mnths for an apptmnt with a CRS, got to the apptmnt stage and then had to cancel and move city!
So once I was settled again go see more doctors and once again joined the waiting list, this time with a shorter wait as I had already waited and was in a big city.
But then when I got new employment private healthcare insurance came with it and that brings me up to today where just six hours ago I fell asleep in the theatre.
I feared the needle more then the operation to be honest here, but I was allowed the use of some numbing cream for big baby's like myself and did not feel a thing.
When I woke from my surgery I could not stop giggling, must have been the general aesthetic effects, was very surreal, they had loaded my behind with local anaesthetics after the operation and still now I have had no sign of pain, have passed some gas, peculiar sensation that was, and was sent home after they checked my blood pressure, temp, and that I could go too the bathroom.
Have over the counter pain meds and over the counter anti inflams as well to take over the next few days, it is Friday night here now, Dr expects I will be fine to go back to work Monday if I please.
I had an examination of my rectum and then a LIsphincterotamy
And that is my experience thus far, have an impending doom feeling for my first BM so here is hoping things move seamlessly.
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Had surgery 6 Hours ago

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 09 Dec 2011, 09:51

Congratulations! Welcome back to normal. The giggling was probably from the knowledge that your on the other side of AF hell!
We all dread the first BM. Have a sitz bath ready, breathe, relax, and let it happen. Just be sure to follow the surgeons post-op instructions; stool softeners, diet, take it easy, etc.
Start your pain meds before local wears off!
If you feel fit enough to go back to work on Monday (seems a little soon), then great; if you don't, give yourself a chance to heal.
Good luck, and speedy recovery!
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby C0nz » 10 Dec 2011, 02:25

Still no pain! Feels a little bit tender and swollen, finding it difficult to clean there as I am too afraid to put too much water or even anything near the site
Still no BM yet
Had abit of gas, does not pass by itself so i still have full control :D
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Postby Crazyderek » 13 Dec 2011, 13:11

How are you doing now
Crazyderek
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby C0nz » 13 Dec 2011, 14:32

Hey, I am doing great, back at work, sit at a chair all day and have little discomfort, I am still taking my anti-inflams to aid healing.
Bowel movments are a little difficult, I think I need to up my fibre to keep things easy.
No problems holding in gas or anything else, feels like it did before surgery really but bruised
Incision site gets a twang of pain every now and then but that's about it, alot easier and pain free then I was expecting so glad that I finally got it over and done with
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Postby Crazyderek » 13 Dec 2011, 14:41

Awesome !!! I had the surgery yesterday. I'm sore but had BM and no pain just some blood but not much. Have some plumbs good fiber and makes BM soft.
Crazyderek
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Sue1962 » 14 Dec 2011, 06:36

Congrats to both of you!!!! Wishing you continued pain free healing!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby C0nz » 05 Jan 2012, 18:19

Now about three weeks post op
Bms are nice and painfree, even forgot my Metamucil a couple of times and the hard result did not make me rip to my suprise.
The surgery site gets mad ichy if it gets damp and sometimes swells a bit and is a bit tender
I feel exactly the same tightness wise as I did before surgery
No leakage ever and I have always had control over gas
Did get a bit of a swelling lump, I assume was a roid that was rather painfull for about three or four days, and it does feel like the veins passing through there are a bit puffy or something.
Cancelled my follow up that was ten days post surgery because I did not want to be "inspected" when it was still so tender, still tryin to decide if I should cancell the flow up all together.
So hopefully the itchiness calms down in the next few weeks
Would do it all over again in a heartbeat
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Postby C0nz » 10 Jun 2012, 01:59

Well unfortunately I will be doing it all over again in Five Days!
Things got better, and then they got slowly back to sore, looking back I think my surgery was a bit conservative and I could have used a bit more cutting.
My upcoming op is not set in stone yet, when I saw my crs he had a look but said it is difficult to have a proper look when someone is conscious, so he is looking to do a inspection under a general anaesthetic, upon that he will either give the region a stretch, or preform another LIS, he will also look at some swellings that seem to come and go down there and may look at excising them.
It is disappointing to have to go through this all over again, and the swellings when they are swelled are more discomforting than my fissure has ever been. My CRS was a bit perplexed by them and it is concerning me I wont get rid of them because they are not swolen at the moment.
But all in all if I make it through it will be worth it, I feel like I have forgotten the experience last time and am facing the unknown all over again!!
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Postby 44alegna44 » 10 Jun 2012, 06:17

Hey COnz,
I'm really sorry you have to go through this again, aside from the physical pain I can totally relate to the mental angst a set-back/relapse after surgery can cause :( . I am in the same place as you, except have not scheduled another surgery, as of yet. I had lis in February, recovery was going well, felt great by week 6....then at week 7 tore a brand new fissure, yet the original had healed. So here I sit, back in the place where I started last august when I first got a fissure. I'm still holding out trying to heal this new one on my own, but I am mentally prepared to move ahead with another surgery, like you, if progress doesn't continue.
Do you know if you had a re-tear Image ? How long after surgery did you feel things were taking a turn for the worse and how long after that did you wait to schedule the 2nd procedure?
Knowing the benefits I was able to achieve after my first surgery, I believe it does offer the healing and relief we are desperate for :D. Unfortunately, in some cases, things go wrong and we have to take the hit, shake it off and just deal with it. I'm glad you've reached a decision that you feel is best to deal with your situation, and once again move past this hell of a condition Image
I will surely keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a remedy that will finally prove to be successful in total healing for you...for good Image
Best wishes and please keep us updated, as you can, with your progress.
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9