Fistula surgery! Hopetoheal, Dawn you here?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fistula surgery! Hopetoheal, Dawn you here?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 Dec 2011, 09:25

Oh no, Arafat! It's not a good idea to watch butt surgery on the internet! Image Of course, I'm one to talk - I watched an LIS before I had mine and it completely freaked me out. So what did I do? I watched a fistulotomy video before my fistula surgery too! Yep, I'm a winner! Image
The surgery is definitely scary to watch, but it's a breeze when you get it. You just sleep through it - easy peezy, as many of the boardies here say. Please try not to worry too much. Medical procedures always look worst than they actually are. Image
It's interesting that you can't see the fistula hole. My guess is that would mean that it is really superficial; I mean if the hole is more in the inside. From what I've read, the further the outside hole of the fistula is from the anus, the higher up into the anal canal the other fistula hole is, which means that the fistula tunnels through more sphincter muscle. My fistula hole was just on the anal verge, almost on the inside, and my fistula was superficial. So, I think you should be relieved that you can't see the hole because that could be good news. Of course, that's something to ask your doc about, since I only got my medical degree from the University of Google. Image
The fistulotomy wound will be a bit wide - it has to be so that it will heal properly - but don't let that alarm you. Many boardies here said they were really surprised that a wound that wide didn't really hurt. Mine was like a small ditch for a while, but it wasn't painful, especially after I got past the first two weeks post-op. And, as I mentioned, even the post-op recovery pain wasn't so bad, and I was mostly just a bit sore and tender after the first week.
I'm so glad your hemmy is shrinking and your BMs are going so well. Good for you!
I really sympathize with you - you sure have gone through a lot and for quite a long time now. Image Kidney stones are truly awful. A friend of mine had them and I could see they were painful. I had gallstones when I was a teenager, and gallbladder attacks were really terrible!
Hang in there! Very soon all this will be a distant memory and you will be back to living your life. Just remember - no more YouTube for you, my friend, unless you are watching cute kittens or people falling into water fountains while they're texting! :D
Happy New Year to you too! 2012 is going to treat you very well! :D
Deleted User 579

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?