INTRO FROM ADMIN

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

INTRO FROM ADMIN

Postby Cheryl » 04 Nov 2006, 21:17

Hi everyone!
I have suffered from Anal Fissures for just over 6 years - and to be honest, it has been hell!
From creams, to diet changes, to a large number of 'invasive' inspections, a multitude of softeners, duiretics and the final straw.. surgery.. :shock:
For me, i wish that I had people to talk to sooner, share experiences with, and get advice from real people who have been through it.. from my experience now, doctors know the facts, but they are not always acurate in pain gauaging or recovery times.. nor do they seem to be as gentle as we'd like  :roll:
I started this forum becuase I felt there was a lack of support groups out there, that are forum based, easy to read, reply and act on.. and perhaps being such an embarrassing problem, seems its most uncomfortable to talk about with any one but your GP.
I 'believe' (touchwood) I am now in recovery, its been 13 days since my surgery.  
I only sought online help just a day after i came out of surgery... I was given information on how to recover quickly and comfortably which was invaluable.  I felt the advice was far more useful than that of any advice I had received from my GP's or Surgeon.
Anal Fissures are definitely not uncommon, there are many sufferers worldwide, I hope that we can all come together and help each other get on the road to recovery.
Please bare with us while the forum is still small.. and I certainly welcome any suggestions for the forum to make your stay more enjoyable..
I do hope you can all stay a while
Best Regards,
Cheryl
Admin
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

New just had LIS & FS

Postby Taygre3d » 25 Sep 2011, 18:36

Hi, I just joined and would like some direction LIS & fissure was cut out in out patient surgery on 9-22-11, still have not had BM Since
before surgery 10am on 9-22 -11. On stool softner & metamucil as suggested by dr. and I urinate just fine, eatin light foods,lots of water &passing gas. Any ideas getting anxious. God is in my life, I claim a great recovery after years of having fissures take hold of me. For any help, Thankfully, Teresa Image
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Recently had LIS

Postby Toby727 » 02 Oct 2011, 20:05

I am new this also. I just recently had an LIS. In fact today is day 4 post op. I have to say the pain I am feeling following surgery has been nothing compared to the pain I was having for the last 8 months. So far I am glad that I decided to move forward with the surgery. I do however have a question for you all. Approximately how long following surgery am I going to be having such painful BM's.
I hope you will be able to help me out on this. I am so lucky to have found this site. It has helped me so much through the days prior to and following my surgery. Great information !!!!!
Toby727
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Sooooooo Tired of this AF!

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Jan 2012, 02:25

Hello, everyone - I can't believe I found this website, but I'm glad I did. I've been suffering with an AF for almost three months now.
Originally, I had an AF three years ago - and it reoccurred this past October. I've seen two crs - both of whom I've seen before. The first one (who found my AF three years ago) said my fissure was fine, and he didn't know why I was having pain. (BTW, I had a completely clear and routine colonoscopy 3 years ago, not long after the first AF episode.) He prescribed the nitro ointment, even though he said I was fine. The second cr said I have an AF, and he prescribed a hydrocortisone cream, and he said to come back in 4-6 weeks, if the pain had not gone away.
Well, I have not gone back, yet (and it's been about 8 wks. since I've seen the second cr) - because I want to try to heal this problem, on my own. I just don't want surgery . . . That said, it's such a battle!!!
I'm doing so many things now, to try and heal this AF. I'm on Konsyl and Colace, twice per day. I'm eating Fiber One cereal every morning. I've cut out all junk and sugar out, too, and also dairy, breads, etc. My diet is limited (temporarily, at least) to fiber, some vegetables, and some fruits. I'm also taking extra magnesium and vit. B6. In addition, I'm using any and all kinds of creams and ointments, just trying to find one that works.
Just when I thought I might be getting the upper hand on this AF, the pain level went back up, a few days ago.
I'm soooooo tired of this! Tired and depressed. I just want my life back. I don't want to be like this, anymore. It's hard to feel like doing anything, and I certainly can't plan anything - and I don't want to be around anyone.
Thank you for reading. I hope something works, soon.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

GREAT FORUM!!!!

Postby Fissuredude » 06 Jan 2012, 07:53

I have had problems w/fissures for several years now. It's a long and somewhat humerous story...so here it goes. Back @ Oct 2009, I started a workout and diet plan(which I've done many times in my life) and lost @ 50lbs. Well, I got obsessed with eating big bowls of corn flakes and grape nuts. During the process, I must have dehydrated myself. I didn't have a bowel movement for 2 days. On the third day...the urge hit me. I guess from the dehydration and all that cereal...I pooped a turd the size of my forearm Image . It tore me. I thought it was a hemmeroid and went through the usual routine. However,the pain was much greater and would not subside. I made an appt with the CRS and he went in for the surgey. However, the fissure had started to heal so he didn't perform the surgery.
In about two weeks, it ripped again. I had been on a regimine of softener and fiber along with suppositories. Eventually after @8 months I got it to heal.
I got complacent over the next year and half. So in November, my company had dinner catered. I kind of picked at it but I love corn. I ate 4 heaping bowls of it. Well...the next morning I paid for it. I ripped again. I'm not sure in the same place tho. The old one was on the backside. I actually had several. They are fairly superficial tho. But I have cured them in @ a month. My wife got a recipe for a soup. This soup was good and I ate several bowls one day. I noticed the next day that my movement was great (in consistency). I ate it on a daily basis with the same outcome. Healed...I think. Still eating it and taking softeners tho.
I have a long version of this story but I'm sure you are bored by now. I just wanted to say hey and tell all of you I feel for you and that its not the end of the world. I know it seems like it because I've been there...depressed, obsessed,wondering what I did wrong etc. If anyone is interested... I would be glad to post my daily regimine or the recipe for the soup. :)
Fissuredude

Re: ---INTRO FROM ADMIN (The originator of this group!!!)---

Postby grannymaria » 06 Jan 2012, 12:08

I would love to see your regime and the recipe for this soup if you don't mind :) thanks in advance Fisserdude..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby grannymaria » 06 Jan 2012, 12:10

Gabriel06 wrote::(((((((((
How are u doing sweetie Image Plz let us know how u are.. God bless you and give you the healing you need..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Fissuredude » 06 Jan 2012, 15:43

Hey grannymaria...I will do that tomorrow. My wife is at work and she makes it. I will post it tomorrow afternoon. I have had years of trouble with my rear. Starting in college I had Hemr'd / fissure surgery (@'87), so I am no stranger to the pain and mental anguish these things cause. My routine that I have found to work for me is to eat the same thing daily that causes me to have a soft, passable movement. I believe the key to healing a fissure is to eat the same food daily(once you figure out what gives you a soft movement. I eat the same food daily. Boring...yes....Painfree...YES!!! I'll take painfree tho. I have never had much luck with powdered fiber tho because I couldn't predict the outcome in the morning. Sometimes my movement would be hard, other times soft. So here is basically my daily intake:
4 Softeners in morning
Cup of nonfat yogurt
Banana
3 bowls of the soup
Bowl or 2 of Rice krispies / rice chex
3 softeners at night
I only drink water and diet green tea. By eating the same thing I can predict the outcome of my movement. The key was to get a couple of days where the fissure would not open and bleed. Once I could go a couple of days with no blood, I ate the same thing daily so that the fissure would not reopen. Of course, these fissures were not as bad a my last one. That fissure caused me immense amounts of pain and spasms. I would get terrible lower back pains and tightening feeling in my perineum area.
I will post the recipe for you tomorrow. I call it "Poop Soup"... Image

Fissuredude

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Jan 2012, 17:03

Fissuredude -
I am trying to deal with my fissure in much the same way -

Konsyl 2x per day
Colace (100mg.) 2x per day
Prunes throughout the day
Fiber One cereal in the mornings
Steamed brussel sprouts and avocado (my snack)
Green salad, plain - with only avocado and olive oil
I really hope I can get past this thing. I just want to heal and live my life again.
So, my questions to you are: How long have you been on this diet? Is your AF healed? Is this diet your "forever" diet, or just temporary? Have you had any depression with this problem?
I'm a newbie - so maybe you've already posted this info - but I thought I'd ask.
Thanks.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Fissuredude » 06 Jan 2012, 18:53

Hi Bugaboo...yes, I believe i'm healed. No pain during or after the movement and no spasms. Listen, the "depression" is normal. I, at times, would sit in my bathtub for hours and keep saying that if this pain doesn't go away I'm not sure what I will do!! In fact I hated life and became kind of a recluse. You have just got to keep saying to yourself it WILL get better. That you WILL beat it and you WILL take your life back. I know its hard to do at times. I wish I had found this forum earlier because people who have never had a fissure....have NO idea!!!! This is a great support system.
As far as the diet goes...I've been on it since Nov. 26th. But only discovered the soup a couple of weeks ago. Not saying its a miracle soup...but does work for me. I intend to stay on my current diet for at least several more months. After that ...maybe i'll venture into some
other foods but for now i'm afraid to. I'm gonna post the recipe tomorrow. My wife cooks it because i'm terrible at cooking Image
Another thing I have found that helps is exercise. I work out religiously and cardio helps...don't know why...maybe blood flow.
So dont get depressed. Dont let it get the better of you. You Will beat it one way or another. Diet or doctor. Image
How long have you had the fissure?
Fissuredude