anxiety management

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

anxiety management

Postby workingonit » 14 Jan 2012, 13:07

Hey there,
Seems to me we are all suffering from anxiety and depression from worrying about our bums.
So I have some experience on this from when I was recovering from Ativan last year.
Here is what helped me through the hard times and I am finding useful again now.
I meditate, I got a book from the library called 'Meditation for Dummies' by Stephan Bodian, and it is a great basic over view. All you need really. It comes with an audio disc that I put on my iPod. I listen to the meditation while I am walking, when I go to bed and when I wake up too early. Basically I listen to them any time I need to calm.
I also do a basic meditation where you count backwards from 50. One count for each breath. So stop and pay close attention to your breathing, feel the air enter your nose/mouth and feel your stomach and chest rise. After a minute or so, your breath begins to slow, then start your backwards count. Sometimes I need to do it twice or even three times.
I also listen to other MP3 meditations and self hypnosis on my iPod. When I am really anxious, I find it works better to listen to a guided meditation than to do my own.
I recommend anything by Bodhipaksa, Holly-Holmes Meredith, Roger Elliot's self hypnosis, and Dr. Rubin Naiman.
This is the first meditation that I started with as a free download (she has a sitting one too that is great as well). I can't post the link, but if you google MCullenBodyScanMeditation.
Most of all though, I recommend either reading Claire Weeks "Help for your Nerves", or her audio book "Pass Through Panic".
I hope this helps,
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: anxiety management

Postby Sue1962 » 14 Jan 2012, 18:17

I am sure that will help many people WOI!! Everyone deals with a certain amount of anxiety/depression with this condition, even when it starts healing. Your constantly thinking am I going to rip again. Even with surgery you can retear or develop a new fissure, but it usually isn't as bad. Thus the need to avoid constipation at all costs.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36