Squat rather than sit

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Squat rather than sit

Postby Savaici » 22 Jan 2012, 11:48

Squat toilets that I have seen in countries that have them (India, for one), are on the floor, (probably you all know this, but thought I'd mention it), and were much easier and more acceptable to use, as the foot thing and the way it was placed, really helped...worked to the shape of the body, so to speak. Doing it on paper or using something else is possible (but I don't fancy that) Perching on a toilet is just too frightening for me, but then I am no spring chicken, age wise!!
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Jan 2012, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing...
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 23 Jan 2012, 13:33

I ordered a (don't laugh)... well alright laugh,
'squatty potty' yesterday. It's one of those stools that help you squat over the toilet. Apparently it can be assembled and disassembled to bring with on trips (if I like it)
It will take a while to get here but when I've tried it for a bit, I will let everyone know what I think about it.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 23 Jan 2012, 22:31

I was all set to try squatting until I found this and got a little scared offf...
Risk factors special to eastern culture for the development of anal fissure.
AuthorsErel S, et al. Show all Journal
Bratisl Lek Listy. 2009;110(11):710-2.
Affiliation
Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Family Medicine Department, MOH, Ankara, Turkey.
Abstract
AIM: To reveal the effect of diet, bowel functions and toilet habits on the development of anal fissure.
METHODS: One hundred patients complaining of anal fissure were included to the case group; and one hundred age- and gender-matched patients referred for other reasons except for anorectal complaints were included to the control group. The information was obtained by face to face interviews using questionnaires.
RESULTS: Statistically significant differences were found in coffee, fruit, and meat consumption between the groups. The patients suffering from anal fissure avoided paprika consumption. The rate of anal fissure incidence was higher in squat toilet users.
CONCLUSION: This study is the first study which evaluates the risk factors such as paprika consumption and squat toilet usage that are specific to Eastern culture. Further studies including large numbers of population are needed to evaluate different risk factors for anal fissure development.

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 22:43

I wonder what paprika could possibly have to do with it??
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Guest » 23 Jan 2012, 23:24

Paprika can range from mild to hot depending on what is used to make it. If hot chili peppers are used to produce it I would think fissure sufferers would avoid it because of the burning it might cause when having a bowel movement.

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 10:40

I would think so, too - that paprika, or anything else that's spicy, would only aggravate matters.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby workingonit » 24 Jan 2012, 12:16

I don't know about that study. The thing that bothers me about all the studies is that they don't differentiate between fissures. It seems to me there is a pathological difference between anterior and posterior AFs that suggests difference causes. Everyone seems to treat all fissures the same. Maybe they aren't.
So is the study suggesting by default that we should be eating paprika as well as not using squat toilets?
I can't imaging not doing my psuedo squat for my BM. I kinda agree with what another guy on the yahoo forum said, that the toilet seat puts too much pressure on my AF. When I lean forward the seat is more pressing against my thighs than my butt.
Well I will let you all know when I get my stool in the mail.
Buy the way, I found this guy on board sailor who said that he recommends eating a hot indian curry when things aren't healing fast enough. He thinks it would stimulate the healing by causing inflammation and thereby bringing more blood to the area. I just don't know about that though. Seems to me the less aggravation to that area the better!
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 13:58

I kinda lean forward, too - just sort of curl my back a little. I really don't know if it helps, or not . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2012, 14:12

I agree... I don't think all fissures are the same, nor do I think doctors or researchers really know what causes fissures or what causes them to become chronic. Given that there are many people who have chronic fissures who do not have sphincter spasm or sphincter hypertonia, it is clearly not a simple condition.
Regarding the hot peppers, there actually was a doctor who did a study that had participants use capsaicin on their fissures with the same idea of applying it to arthritic joints... That if you could have a localized effect on substance p you might actually decrease inflammation. The logic is sound, but not surprisingly the stinging of the cream was more painful than patients could tolerate and the study was aborted.
Regarding toilet posture, I say... Whatever works. I jus feel intimidated by a full squat because it seems like when I'm doing that it is putting more pressure on the anal area. I've tried all kinds of postures, including leaning forward, putting my legs up on a stool, and many others and do agree that slightly leaning forward with knees a little bit elevated is helpful.
Looking forward to hearing the results of the squatty potty.

Postby TonyStone » 26 Jan 2012, 08:26

I have always used this rule...
HOT FOOD GOING IN...HOTTER FOOD COMING OUT.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14