A little blood and pain after 5 weeks post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: A little blood and pain after 5 weeks post-op

Postby Away PITA! » 24 Jan 2012, 08:11

I'm no doctor or pharmacist (I suggest you ask one or both of them) but I'd suggest keeping up with some metamucil and dropping the Colace. Colace is docusate sodium a stool softener that works by drawing water into the bowels. Mirilax is polyethylene glycol 3350 also a stool softener that works by drawing water into the bowels. Metamucil is what is known as a bulk forming fiber. It absorbs water and then expands (sometimes a lot). It can cause you to have soft but really large (bulky) BMs.
In my experience I found I was using too much metamucil. I was having huge BMs. Granted they were fairly soft but still a lot of waste to pass. After I started Miralax I was able to quit metamucil all together. Between my fruits, veggies, grains, and H20 intake (plus reduced dairy and meats) I'm getting enough fiber.
Everyone responds a bit differently and finding your best formula can be difficult. It can take a bit of time. Oh, and if you aren't walking/exercising much I suggest that too. I have a sit down 8-5 job and I make sure to take several walks each day and try to do one fairly long one after work several times a week. Helps in a bunch of ways. I hope this helps.
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby letitsnow » 24 Jan 2012, 18:16

Thanks for the info. that really helped. I do not need really bulky stools at this point...no wonder I am having so much pain!!! I wish the doctor had bothered to explain it to me!
I have a couple of other health issues so I don't get much excercise. I will try to do what I can.
Take Care. Image
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby letitsnow » 29 Jan 2012, 16:09

Away Pita...Thought I would give you an update since I have been on the Miralax. I feel so much better thanks to you. No more bulky stools. I went off the Metamucil it was just killing me!!! I haven't had any more bloody bm's or pain when I have a bm. Not that I am pain free by any means but I feel about 75% better than what I was. I still can't sit for very long periods at a time without pain but I am hopeful! I have a follow up appt. tomorrow with my surgeon. Hopefully it will be good news!
Thanks Again. Image
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Away PITA! » 30 Jan 2012, 10:01

Snow...that is GREAT news!!! Glad to help. Just be sure to stick with whatever routine is working for you. If I've learned anything about AFs it's that they are sneaky. Just when you think you are "better" they decide to pay you a return visit. I hope you continue to get better!!!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8