lanolin and fissures

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

lanolin and fissures

Postby workingonit » 30 Jan 2012, 12:05

Hey there,
Em posted this on another thread and I thought I should put it here so more people would see it.
Interesting...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20676860
and here is some general info about lanolin
http://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/series3/shakers/handcream.html
I wonder why the CRSs never have you put anything antibacterial on the fissure when there seems to be so much evidence (granted most of it anecdotal evidence) that is helps?
The last time I had an AF I used neosporin and I think it did help, but cannot say for certain.
Hmmmm...
add it to the list of questions for my CRS next month.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: lanolin and fissures

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2012, 14:52

I remember using lanolin years ago on a fissure and I do think it was helpful...I really should keep fissure journals...what works, what doesn't. I'll have to give it another try. I know pure lanolin does wonders for my chapped lips and cures overnight those little painful fissures you can get at the side of your mouth when the weather is super dry as it has been here for the last week.
I don't know why exactly you wouldn't want to use something like neosporin on a fissure, and I suppose for short term use it shouldn't be an issue, but I would guess that with longer term use you'd have to be careful about letting yourself in for bacterial resistance. Further, it's my understanding that fissures only very rarely become infected.

Postby workingonit » 31 Jan 2012, 15:02

It's true that they rarely become infected, but how much effort is your body wasting keeping germs at bay?
Would the lanolin and/or coconut oil work as kind of a bandaid???
Food for thought anyways...
I have been using lanolin the past couple days. I got lansinoh, but it doesn't 'glide up' easily. Too waxy. So I may rub it with a wee bit of coconut oil tonight and see if that helps.
Then I apply the nifedipine afterwards.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2012, 10:44

I use the lansinoh as well... It helps to heat the tube in some hot water first, or even just place it on your heating pad for awhile ... If you're anything like me there is always a heating pad plugged in and on... Mixing with an oil would work too... I think lanolin has healing properties and it also does protect the wound underneath from further damage, like a bandaid as you suggest. Its always been a great skin healer for me.

Postby workingonit » 03 Feb 2012, 11:11

I've been putting it on my chapped lips. I was using coconut on them for a week, and this is my comparative study :)
So far (two days now), the lansinoh lanolin is better. It lasts much longer (all day really).
I've been rubbing it between my thumb and my pinky more to get it to soften up more.
I've given up on the coconut oil for now just in case it had anything to do with my setback.
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2012, 13:23

Same findings here. Coconut oil irritates me when applied (I love to use it in foods though and have no problem with it). The lanolin works wonders for me for my extremely chapped lips and is also wonderfully soothing in the anal area.
Since lips are similar to anal skin, they are probably a good testing ground for ointments. :)
I wonder if there is any correlation between having chronically chapped lips and chronic fissures. I've always had very chapped lips.

Postby workingonit » 03 Feb 2012, 14:08

my lips get chapped cause I sleep with my mouth open and snore like a 747 :D
I wonder if drinking more oil would help you moisturize from the inside out?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP