Docusate Calcium

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Docusate Calcium

Postby garlopa48 » 13 Dec 2011, 14:17

Hello everyone,
I just went to a CRS for the first time and gave me good news. My fissure is in an uncommon place and it is not likely that I will need surgery. He mention that the main reason of my bleeding is because after my hemorrhoid surgery, the scar made my anal canl more tight. Everytime I passed stool that is bigger than that, it stretches and bleeds. He told me that from now on, I will need to take a capsule of Docusate Calcium (Surfak) everyday for the rest of my life. Does anyone is taking this supplement longer than the labels says? Are there any side effects? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks.
garlopa48
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Docusate Calcium

Postby dwarfs8 » 14 Dec 2011, 05:23

Hmmm nv heard of that , so is it supposed to soften ur stools I suppose? U probably shld goggle abt it. Normally doc wldnt wan patients to take supplements or medication for life, so I m quite skeptical sorry
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Davo » 14 Dec 2011, 05:58

In the UK we have a stool softener which named Ducoease which contains docusate (not the calcium bit though).
My CRS says its the best over the counter stuff for fissures. I take it three times a day with no side effects and it does seem to work (but not like a laxative)
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby garlopa48 » 14 Dec 2011, 07:57

Thank you Davo,
It does work pretty well. I'm just concerned of using it everyday. I did some research on google and it says its safe, the body does not absorb it.
How long have you use it?
garlopa48
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 14 Dec 2011, 08:19

As it is not technically a laxative i think they are ok to take for as long as necessary - If your doctor has told you to take these indefinitely i can't see there being a problem however surely a high fibre diet and water is better than taking a stool softener for the rest of your life?
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby garlopa48 » 14 Dec 2011, 08:26

I do have to take great intakes of water and fiber. The stool softener is necesary in my particular case because my anal canal is tighter because the hemorroid surgery I had. Any stool bigger than the space, will stretch the scar and I will bleed.
garlopa48
Fibre Addict

Postby ToothDoctor » 01 Feb 2012, 21:51

I took Docusate for about a week, it bloated me, gave me abdominal pain and made me diarrhea.
It works by causing water to be drawn into your intestines, thus softening up and lubricating the stool. For me every other time I took it I had a horrible bout of diarrhea.
ToothDoctor
Fibre Addict

Postby grannymaria » 03 Feb 2012, 17:39

I think it also makes the bowels sluggish n back to square one :( I'd be careful sweetie..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13