Reactivation & anxiety- stay centered!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Reactivation & anxiety- stay centered!

Postby Grateful Ed » 15 Jan 2012, 16:11

Hi all- still new to the forum but I'm very glad to have found it. After 18 months of recurring fissures I found a Naturopathic doctor in Oregon who was very helpful. I've felt great for about a week & just now am starting to feel some pain "down there" again. Obviously I'm really worried about re-activating this but I know I need to keep a positive attitude about it. The last time the fissure recurred it came back with a vengeance & I really don't wanna go back. I'm seeing my chiropractor tomorrow & have high hopes for that. I'm a hippie from California and am very open to alternative therapies. This chiropractor is certified in the B.E.S.T. (Bio-Energetic Synchronicity Technique) method and was very helpful in getting my previous fissure to heal. Alot of times, chronic illnesses are induced by recurring negative thought patterns and the B.E.S.T. technique was very helpful in getting me out of depressive mental ruts.
I had been seeing an acupuncturist who recommended laying on an incline board. Basically, just take a long, wide piece of wood and prop one end up on a small box, chair or couch. This reverses the downward pressure on your bottom and can be helpful in cases of anal prolapse. Some companies even make "anti-gravity" boots & poles but a simple board works just as well. It can even relieve the pain if you don't have time for a whole sitz-bath.
Also (I hope I don't get kicked off the board for this) but many states in the U.S. now sanction medical marijuana. Honestly, it was one of the few things that helped me deal with the incredible pain that can accompany a fissure. I've heard smoking is bad for skin conditions but many dispensaries offer tinctures, salves and edibles which can be helpful for pain and anxiety. Like I said, I'm a hippie!
I'm more-than-a-little anxious about this flaring up again & I'm in moderate pain today but I have to believe this will heal completely. I know it will- don't give up hope! Image
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Reactivation & anxiety- stay centered!

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 15 Jan 2012, 17:29

Hi, Ed -
I'm sure there are probably ways to heal fissures, which westerners never hear about.
My dad's mother was Native American, and she had some very different "cures" for various ailments. They seemed to work, too! (All this according to my mother, who knew her well.)
Anyhow - whatever works for people, that's what I say. This misery is enough to test a saint.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby grannymaria » 15 Jan 2012, 18:01

Thanks for this info Ed. Lol I'm a 70's granny now n remember a lot of my hippie friends :) We have been reading alot of the medicinal properties this plant has - it's up to the doc n patient :) . I find it interesting bout the gravity - I guess coming from am accupunturist it been tried. Hang in there n keep reading as much here - this forum is truly God sent. God bless u n us all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby grannymaria » 15 Jan 2012, 18:06

Sweet Bugaboo wrote:Hi, Ed -
My dad's mother was Native American, and she had some very different "cures" for various ailments. They seemed to work, too! (All this according to my mother, who knew her well.)
Anyhow - whatever works for people, that's what I say. This misery is enough to test a saint.
[left] so true sweetbugaboo !
I'm from Mexico n my parents had home remedies that worked! I wished I had paid more attention growing up- they're in heaven now. Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 15 Jan 2012, 18:12

Hi, granny -
Yes, I feel the same way - I wish my grandmother were here, because I wonder how she would handle certain things. (She passed away when I was a baby.)
How are you doing today, granny? I was better this morning, but this afternoon I'm having some burning and spasms. :(
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Sue1962 » 15 Jan 2012, 18:17

I agree with SB. There are many different types of treatments I am sure westerners don't even know about. If it works than so be it. Who is anyone to judge what works for one when dealing with such a miserable issue!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby workingonit » 02 Feb 2012, 12:18

Thanks for this Ed,
Whatever makes you feel better!
I've been full of anxiety and fear this last setback and I just went for a long walk and thought about what helped me recover from Ativan last year. The biggest symptom was anxiety. I became a devoted fan of Claire Weekes. She practiced many years ago, but her work is still followed today. You can still find her book in any bookstore, "Hope and Help for your Nerves". I like her audio book "Pass Through Panic". Mostly she is addressing people with anxiety disorders, but I think it still applies to anxiety that is brought on by drugs or chronic illness.
I used to smoke a lot of green too, and when I think back my butt issues did seem to correlate to around the time I quit. It was major way of releasing stress for me. But I usually found it was counter productive when I was anxious about things. So I don't know if it would help me now. Food for thought though.
Especially as anything in the benzo/valium family won't work for me, and alcohol is a big no-no with AFs.
Better the devil you know eh?
:)
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 02 Feb 2012, 13:14

Hi Ed...
I second the vote on "whatever works" ...
I'm interested to learn more about the BEST technique... Sounds very similar to the teachings of Buddha on pain and illness.
The anxiety is really giving me a hard time too, and it's so essential to find something that quells it. For years I've had a lot of success with self hypnosis, guided imagery, walking meditation... But right now there's just nothing that helps except Ativan, which is obviously a short-term assistant. It also helps with muscle relaxation.
Woi...
I'll check out Claire Weekes too. The name sounds familiar.

Postby Guest » 02 Feb 2012, 13:16

I had no idea that medical marijuana is available in other forms besides smoking or vaporizing. Might be something to look in to!

Postby rasmith3530 » 06 Feb 2012, 00:11

I am going to have to check out Claire Weeks as well. I'm suffering from other issues in addition to the AF, and it might provide me with some answers that Western medicine is failing to resolve.
I too am an old hippie. I went downtown Chicago one August day in 1968, and my life hasn't been the same since. I wish that we would de-criminalize Mary Jane as well. If it helps, it should be available, but that probably won't happen until Pfizer or Abbott Labs can figure how to turn a fancy profit off it!
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10