Do conservative treatments EVER work?? (for chronic fissures

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Do conservative treatments EVER work?? (for chronic fissures

Postby workingonit » 12 Feb 2012, 15:00

I remember someone else mentioning improvements when they stopped with the vaseline. Makes me wish more that I could stop the nifedipine!
I mostly put it on the outside now though and just put the lanolin on the fissure itself.
Are you going to ask your doc about the blood? That sounds worrisome. Is that why they want to do a colonoscopy?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2012, 15:14

Tanya...
Your compounding pharmacist doesn't have to use Vaseline as the carrier for the nifedipine if you have concerns about it. Mine is compounded in a totally neutral, very light gel base with no Vaseline, and lacks any of the most common allergens for skin.

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2012, 15:18

savaici...
The last i heard (and maybe the technology has changed) capsule endoscopy works well for visualizing the upper and middle digestive system, but not so great for the large intestine and rectum.
Would you be able to tolerate a flex sigmoidoscopy that would just look at the left side of your colon and doesn't require sedation?

Postby Bennastix » 13 Feb 2012, 12:52

I ordered the Rectogesic after a lot of research on my part about the clinical trials. They just FDA approved in here in the US. (still can't get it even though my Dr gave me a script for it) But anyhoo, The first week I used it , it gave me incredible migraines and dizziness. I cut the dose back and laid down for the first 15 minutes after using it. It worked really well for me. The second week, not so much. But I think the meds weren't mixed well in the tube because I wasn't getting the headaches and dizziness. But the 3rd week it seemed to be working again. My Dr wants me to stick with it for 6-8 weeks because she doesn't want me to do the surgery at my young (hahaha 45) age. So I am sticking with it, as well as the fiber, magnesium, zinc, and stool softeners. I also found that the moist wipes are the best things for a tender butt. Bless it....I am feeling better after week 4 of my Rectogesic treatment:) Also, it did cause my BP to drop a couple of times. I make sure I drink something other than water when I do the rectogesic, I usually drink some Gatorade and eat some crackers. Just get a little something on my stomach before using it. But laying down after doing it helped me get used to the medication a lot better. Good luck:) Even though my pain is subsiding, I will still continue to use the Recto until the 8 weeks are up.
Benna
Bennastix
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2