Guys - Boxers or Briefs following post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Guys - Boxers or Briefs following post LIS

Postby FishBoi » 13 Feb 2012, 18:59

My LIS has been rescheduled for next Monday. The extra time got me thinking about what undergarment to wear following the LIS procedure. I've been wearing boxers pretty much my entire life. However with the extra room and all, not sure if it's a good idea to keep the gauze or whatever I will be given at discharge intact.
I'm just afraid briefs will cause me to get sweaty down there and aggravate the surgical site. I was looking at the different types of briefs at Target the other day but thought I'll ask for advice from you all here.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Guys - Boxers or Briefs following post LIS

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 00:15

FishBoi, I'm not a guy . . . but IMO, you'll need to let your bottom have air for several days. I did not wear underwear for about a week after my LIS. I just wore a long bathrobe during the day, and at night I wore nothing.
Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm just trying to say that it's not a bad idea to let the area air out.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 00:34

This is one I had not even thought about. I normally wear briefs and that's exactly what I'd planned to wear/have on the day of my surgery. Now you've got me wanting to call my CRS for his opinion on this. Sweet Bugaboo does make a good case for loose and free, but I do have to wonder if having your "package" dangling might cause undesirable movement of the sphincter. You ladies of course don't have that issue to deal with.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 00:40

Oh, gosh, rasmith . . . I forgot that you fellas have certain packages, which might be uncomfortable if left to dangle in the open.
Sorry!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 00:53

My concern was that their dangling and movement might also cause movement of the sphincter muscles.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 01:03

Yes, and I hadn't thought of that - but that might be something to ask the doc about . . .
Perhaps boxers would be best, for several days . . .?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 06:43

Actually, boxers allow more dangle than briefs. Maybe more info than you needed! :D
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Tim » 14 Feb 2012, 07:33

That area is used to being moist and dirty. Go with briefs and grab some pantyliners (sucks I know). Modern studies actually dictate that moist wounds heal better as dry areas scab, peel and scar more. I've been using a cotton round and polysporin to keep it in place. Unless your fissure is 100% outside keeping the area dry is almost an exercise in futility. I had three Boston CRS's tell me the same. Best of luck with your LIS!
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby FishBoi » 14 Feb 2012, 10:55

Hi Tim,
That's exactly what I have in mind....pantyliners. I was going to use my wife's supply so it's readily available. She said they will not stick to my boxers, need briefs for it's form fitting in the butt area. Sorry if it's too much info, but that's the reason I'm thinking of briefs but just afraid of the moist it will cause as I do sweat much down there. Luckily it's not summer.
Rasmith you made a good point on the "package". I'll probably buy a packet or two of boxers and switch between the boxers to see what works best.
Thanks all
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13