Is LIS healing time proportional to the fissure severity?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is LIS healing time proportional to the fissure severity?

Postby Davo » 01 Mar 2012, 03:49

Hi Guys,
I was just thinking about this last night and wondered what is the main cause of discomfort following LIS surgery – Is it due to the fissure re-healing after surgery, the cut to the sphincter muscle, fissurectomy or the cleaning up of the fissure thickened edges?
My fissure is probably about 90% healed due to the partial success I have had with GTN and I don’t have a skin tag. I would imagine someone whose fissure is at its worst with a skin tag may take a little longer to heal. So once I have my surgery (14th March) I will naturally be posting my progress but can I just ask how severe your fissures were in the week leading up to surgery, what procedures were carried out and how long it took before you were symptom free (not completely healed just when you were completely pain free)
I just thought this information may be beneficial to others contemplating surgery and may give some further indications on healing time
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: Is LIS healing time proportional to the fissure severity?

Postby FishBoi » 01 Mar 2012, 15:44

I had LIS surgery 10 days ago to be exact. I did have some minor pain on and off the first week but it is different from the fissure pain itself. It's more a sore feeling and the most discomfort for me is the swelling. The swelling makes things feel tight down there and I believe it contributed to my feeling of unable to empty my BMs completely. It was a struggle for me with BMs up until earlier this week. Have been taking Advil 3x/day for the past 4 days and it really helps with the swelling.
My CRS prescribed 2 meds for me. One was to take the first three days following the surgery, it is a potent prescription version of Advil (hence only 3 days worth). This med gave me a lot of gas but luckily needed to take it only for a short course. After that I stopped as I did not have much pain and did not take the Vicodin prescribed. However, the swelling was still there and I think this made it difficult for me to pass my BMs as I did not want to push. Since taking the Advil, it feels a lot better so I guess it's good to take some Advil for the inflammation even if you don't have much pain. CRS said I can take Advil up until I see him next week for the post op followup appointment.
My fissure was not that bad and it was dormant the day of the surgery so I hope my CRS was not too conservative with the cut. He said I did have a faint scar. Others can confirm this but the incision for LIS is actually outside and not inside the anal canal like your normal fissure location. I feel the swelling and the pain on the outside near the opening. I'm too scared to take a look down there with a mirror but I'm certain the cut is made outside.
I'll post more updates as time progresses.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13