My LIS surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My LIS surgery

Postby aram122 » 20 Mar 2012, 09:35

Dear all,
I am new to this forum, I had my LIS surgery 11 days ago and things are not getting any better for me!!! upon inspection my doctor said that I have an anal fissure and an anal fistula and 3 internal hemorrhoids plus a lot of skin tags! he said he took care of it and did the LIS and rubber band ligation on my hemes ! I had my visit to my CRS on sunday and he said everything is looking good so far but my BM still hurt like hurt ! i still have that sharp pain from my fissure site and from my LIS site when i start to have my BM!!! is this normal??? my understanding is pain is supposed to be less than before, I am not bleeding anymore and the discharge is minimal! besides I am constipated! I eat a lot of veggies and soft food and am taking movicol as well which was my savior before to have comfortable BM but now its doing nothing so I have to push at each BM !! :(
Am getting depressed and wishing I didn't have this surgery because I had less pain before!!
aram122
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: My LIS surgery

Postby lindwe » 20 Mar 2012, 10:30

You poor thing. That sounds like a lot of 'messing about' down there. I'm not surprised you are still in pain. I can't comment upon what would be normal after so much intervention but I think you need tocontact your CRS if it continues. In the meantime best wishes for things getting better for you.
Linda
lindwe
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Davo » 20 Mar 2012, 10:43

My god no wonder you are in so much pain!
I would think it is completely normal to experience a good deal of pain post surgery based on the work that you have had done. I know my CRS told me it is not advisable to have too many things done 'down there' during LIS because of the discomfort patients feeling during the healing process post surgery.
However on the other hand you have got everything done now so whilst i imagine things could be pretty tough for a little while you will come out of this without the need for any further hospital treatment.
Are you taking any prescription painkillers for this? If not i would suggest you ask for some
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby aram122 » 20 Mar 2012, 14:19

Dear Linda thank you for your support I really need lots of it right now. Davo I am not taking my pain killers so I won't get more constipated than I am now! am trying to deal with it the old fashioned way by sucking it up and hoping that in time I will get better. My CRS says what I am going through is normal. I donno I am so lost I really am, My understanding that things must be better after I have this surgery !! anyway am looking forward to feel painless or at least have my old pain back.
aram122
Fibre Addict

Postby 44alegna44 » 20 Mar 2012, 15:33

I totally sympathize with your frustration after surgery, we just want the pain to be over. I can tall you that along with my lis, I had a pretty substantial skin tag removed as well as 3 hemmies, and my doctor was very honest about the pain that I would be in afterward. She told me that the majority of the pain would be from the tag/hemmie procedures, not the lis itself, and that I would likely feel tremendous burning....she was right and for me it lasted 10 days before any substantial relief came. I did take ibuprofen for the burn, it definitely helped. I want to offer you encouragement though because I'm close to 6 weeks post-op now and feeling great. Hang in there, it's normal for all that you had done, and it does get better....best wishes, angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby aram122 » 20 Mar 2012, 15:41

Thank you 44alegna44, I wish my pain was burning ! mine is that feeling of glass breaking inside !! its horrible, and I donno why its coming from my LIS site as well I used to have spams as well but they subsided and I thought to myself thats progress I guess !! I donno I am due back to work on Sat. and donno what I am going to do without my sitz bath after my BM
aram122
Fibre Addict

Postby aram122 » 04 Apr 2012, 02:54

Hey all
So I am glad to report that I am finally pain free!!! just a little bit of soreness and mild itching and burning after BMs ! I am still sitz bathing twice a day because I still have some brownish discharge coming from there and its a bit smelly too, saw my doctor on Sunday and he said as long as your not in pain and your having comfortable bowel movements the discharge is normal and it will continue until the wound and the fissure are fully healed, I see him next Wednesday for another check up but as far as he is concerned everything is fine but I am still worried that I might have an infection going on ... anybody had infection after LIS your advice is highly appreciated !
aram122
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 04 Apr 2012, 04:13

Hi Aram,
Brilliant news - I am really pleased for you! :D
I had my LIS on the 14th March and I still get some mild soiling on a daily basis so i dont think this is anything to worry about. In fact i think this is actually to be expected and it normally clears up within six weeks (some have reported two months on here)
My CRS told me that the syptoms of infection after LIS are increasing pain and increased bleeding. So if you feel your pain was getting better then all of a sudden you start getting worse and start bleeding then this would indicate you may have an infection.
Davo
Davo

Postby aram122 » 05 Apr 2012, 08:01

Hey davo! thanks for your reply, do you experience itching and some mild stinging?
aram122
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 05 Apr 2012, 08:09

Hi,
No not really although i would imagine stinging and itching could be expected.
Just make sure its kept clean and dry (i clean up at least four times throughout a day)
Davo
Davo