new mom/c diff/anal fissures and hemrroids...HELP!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new mom/c diff/anal fissures and hemrroids...HELP!!

Postby kate33 » 17 Mar 2012, 11:20

Hi everyone,
I am new to this support group, but wanted to start off by saying how helpful this website has been to me over the past few weeks. I have a 6 month old daughter and have had painful fissure(s) and hemrroids since giving birth 6 months ago. I was told by my OBGYN that I had hemrroids and it would go away with proper diet. Then 3 months ago, I had mastitis, took an antibiotic and developed c diff (a nasty diarrheal infection). I have been treated for c diff for the past 3 months, but it keeps coming back. Currently, I am on a medication for the c diff, so no diarrhea. When I am not having diarrhea, I take Colace daily, Benefiber BID, high fiber/high water diet. I am just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and what (if anything) has helped. I see a gastroenterologist and a colon and rectal surgeon. I am leaning towards LIS for the pain, but am worried that the C diff will return and just start this whole cycle of diarrhea/constipation/fissures/hemrroids again.
kate33

Topics: 1

Re: new mom/c diff/anal fissures and hemrroids...HELP!!

Postby FOFIFOFUM » 17 Mar 2012, 15:14

dont go for LIS there are many other options available :o
FOFIFOFUM

Postby Davo » 17 Mar 2012, 15:40

Hello Kate,
Sorry to hear of your situation and you have come to the right place for information. I think your situation is pretty unique and although LIS is an excellent solution for AF, hemorrhoids & constipation i dont know if it would be a viable option considering your c-diff and because of your recent child birth. I think its probably best that you discuss your options with your medical practitioner or even better with a CRS. If he/she recommends LIS/Dialation/Botox/GTN etc. then we can provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
Sorry if that wasn't much help!!
FOFIFOFUM,
It's always good to see new members become involved and offer advice however if you are recommending that somebody avoids surgery for a chronic condition you should state your reasons why this is not advisable. Also when you state,"there are many other options available" you need to state what these options are.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby chibilink » 18 Mar 2012, 22:55

Hi Kate,
While you definetely want to establish a treatment an with your CRS, there are 3 things that I have adopted to my routine that seem to help and may work for you.
1. Drinking a glass of prune juice every night. This seems to have a natural laxative effect that doesn't cause me to cross over into diarrhea.
2. Use medicated wipes to clean off after each BM. This helps me from further damaging the sensitive tissue when wiping, but also really cleans thoroughly.
3. Sit on a heating pad for 20-30 minutes after each BM. For me, it's almost like a portable sitz bath that I can do anywhere. It also helped a lot with post BM soreness.
chibilink
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 20 Mar 2012, 14:49

Hi Kate,
I am so sorry you are feeling so low.
The idea behind LIS is that it loosens/ relaxes the sphincter muscle. Usually AFs are hard to heal because the sphincter gets too tight from our tensing up and also many people get spasms.
THis is how I understand it anyways. So all the options Davo mentions are aimed at loosening that muscle and increasing blood flow to the area to promote healing.
Often the tight and/or spasming sphincter is also the reason behind hemorrhoids as well.
If I were you, I would worry about getting a bout of cdiff diarrhea while healing from an LIS. Something to ask your doctor about...
I would suggest that rather than seeing a obgyn doctor, you should be seeing a CRS (colorectal surgeon) for these issues.
On a side note, my hubby used to have bleeding internal hemmies and was able to cure them by vigorously walking everyday. I also find walking helpful for my AF, as it increases blood flow to that area.
Take a look around this site. It is full of info. For better searching, use the 'portal' section (see at top next to Home) and use the search options in the bottom left side.
Hope this helps!
Oh ya, and chibi's suggestions are awesome too!. Love my heating pad!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34