Lifting weight and AF

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Lifting weight and AF

Postby Ripped my VanWinkle » 27 Mar 2012, 09:17

Hi All,
I recently joined this group and am so glad that I did - lots of useful information and intelligent, supportive people in a similar situation!
I've been dealing with a chronic AF for about 5 years now, and my relatives have a tizzy every time they see me lifting my child (5 years old, weight around 38-40 lbs.). They mean well, but aren't generally informed, but then again maybe I'm not either on this issue. I try to tell them it doesn't seem to have any effect, but does anyone have anybody have any experience with this? If it were right after surgery, of course, that would be a different issue: I wouldn't lift anything over 5 lbs. then. But does anyone know if lifting a moderate amount of weight (say a 40 lb. kid for an average-sized woman) makes AFs worse?
Thanks!
Ripped my VanWinkle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Lifting weight and AF

Postby pat123 » 27 Mar 2012, 13:34

Ripped (cute name, btw)
I don't know about lifting kids, but i've been working out since my AF surfaced with no ill effects.
I do less weights now that previously, but I do pick up two 20lb weights for shoulders and two 30lb weights for biceps.
I acually think working up a good sweat helps the AF heal when it retears.
I should mention that my case is minor compared to many here...
hope you feel better Image
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby deepfissure » 27 Mar 2012, 13:49

My advice (and this is just my opinion) is that excercise is good if you can manage it. It helps bloodflow and also helps to keep you regular. I would, however not do anything which causes pain or results in pain afterwards. Your AF is clearly telling you something. A slight "throb" I would say is fine, but anything out of the ordinary, stop.
Good luck,
JT
deepfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Ripped my VanWinkle » 27 Mar 2012, 13:56

Thanks for the advice, Pat and JT. I definitely need to get my rear back in gear at the gym, and overcome the tendency to put it off. I appreciate the encouragement!
Ripped my VanWinkle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby turnontheignition » 27 Mar 2012, 14:34

Be careful if you have hemorrhoids. If your going to be lifting weights in the gym make sure you focus on breathing. Grunting and holding breath while lifting puts ALOT of pressure on the veins in the rectum.
turnontheignition
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Morningstar » 28 Mar 2012, 11:50

I wouldn't do it! My (then acute) fissure just about healed and I started lifting heavy weights (Squats, Rows etc.).
Lets just say that 2 years, 2 Botox injections and a LIS I regret the day I touched that stupid weight! Yes, I felt immediately that lifting re-teared it, and I before that I was completely symptom free for about 2 weeks!
Morningstar
Fibre Addict

Postby Morningstar » 28 Mar 2012, 11:55

PS. Instead of lifting weights I first started slowly walking and now I do dancing (Go figure, I only started it because I thought it will get some blood flowing, but I actually like dancing :)
This month I will also start swimming :)! I say go for something a little less controversial then lifting weights in the beginning!
Morningstar
Fibre Addict