INTRO FROM ADMIN

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: ---INTRO FROM ADMIN (The originator of this group!!!)---

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Jan 2012, 23:12

Hi, Fissuredude - and thank you for your reply! I'm sure you realize how valuable support is, along with just the relief of being able to talk about this problem with other AF sufferers. So, thank you.
I first had a fissure about 3 1/2 yrs. ago - but it healed relatively quickly (2 mths.) with a moderate treatment - just an external application of the nitro/lido ointment, and a daily a.m. breakfast of Fiber One. That is all I did to get that AF to heal.
Not so this time. I had a re-occurrence this past October. I really don't know what caused it to re-occur, but it came back with a vengeance. Dr. L (cr who diagnosed the first AF) said my fissure was fine and didn't know why I was in pain. I then decided to see Dr. C (cr who did my colonoscopy after the first AF - and BTW, everything was clear and fine with that exam) - and he said I had an AF, and he prescribed a hydrocortisone cream to use, along with advising me to use Konsyl daily. He said that if the pain didn't go away in 4-6 weeks, I should come back.
Well, that was about 8 wks, ago - but I want to give myself more time to heal before I go back (and I've also hoped I wouldn't HAVE to go back), because I definitely do not want to have surgery, if I can help it. --- With a starting pain level of about 11 (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being absolute agony), I am now down to about a 1-2. I have had a couple of "spikes," wherein the pain has spiked up -- and I've found that it has not been enough just to add Konsyl and that cream to my routine. This bout with the AF has been a battle, because it's been very stubborn about healing.
So . . . I have attacked it back, full force, with the diet I mentioned earlier. I've been strict about staying on the diet, too. It's surely a good thing I'm not a "foodie" and can stay away from certain foods if I need to -- I can't imagine how "foodies" keep themselves on such a strict diet, but for me it's not that tough.
You're so right - that people who have never had this problem had NO idea how it can completely make a person feel so isolated. I tend to be a hermit, anyhow - but this thing has really taken me out of whatever limited circulation I had. I do have a family - so, I've had to force myself to somewhat interact - and my husband has been wonderful to step in and help me (meanwhile, he can eat whatever he wants, WHENEVER he wants, and his fanny is just fine, thank you! Doesn't seem quite fair).
But I have had some depression over this. I do pray and try to stay positive (it's been hard, though) -- but the feelings of dread, fear, isolation, and of never getting over this sometimes get me down, down, down.
I haven't exercised, only because the jogging I was doing seemed to put me in a pain level 11. I hope to resume exercise, at some point, when I'm feeling more confident.
Also, I've noticed that my surrounding fanny area - kind of the muscle on my right hind-end area, has felt stiff and somewhat sore, on and off. I don't know if I'm just having spasms and tenseness there, or what -- but I'm trying to not get all worked up about this, either. --- My general anal area still does not feel quite normal - but at least I've managed to get the pain down - and I can only think that the diet is so crucial to the healing, that I have to stay on it.
All in all, this has been a h*llish experience - one I wouldn't wish on anyone. The plus side is that I'm very carefully watching my diet, and I've re-found my spirituality. I've also been forced to rest - not something I've done alot of, given my domestic history.
Thanks, again, for replying! I really, truly appreciate any and all help and support with this. It's been an awful, awful time for me. With every, little twinge of discomfort or pain, I worry about the pain coming back and that I'll never be better . . . I sure hope I can heal.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Guys hello...and please advise me what is happening :)

Postby Recked » 21 Feb 2012, 11:10

Hello all,
It is a great pleasure to find you all here :) ..our online community is great it seems..
Alright, i won't waste your time by asking things to which i already know the answers to (diets, precautions etc) ..
however i am very puzzled as to what is happening with me .
5 days ago...i was a bit depressed, i drank almost a whole bottle of whiskey (Sorry i am a drunkard sometimes)... and right after that, i ate almost 400gms of deep fried beef patties (ofcourse chilies were there in it, very spicy) ...
anyways...the next day..i woke up...and had the huge urge to go and take the world record biggest dump (will use BM from now on) ...
the same day..had to go for 2 more BMs after which i felt relaxed...my stomach was on fire..same as my anus
im a middle eastern guy...so u know...we usually dont wipe...but use our left hand....
since im living in Australia, i started the wiping thing just now..like 2 months ago..i do wipe and then wash as well...(just used to washing)... however, its the 3rd day(a day after i took 3 huge BMs) that i noticed during wipes i saw bright red blood, and i checked the bottom, and i saw bloody toilet...wasnt huge amount of blood...but the more i pushed out..the more blood fell..like 3-4 good drops....
i was afraid as hell....i thought finally the CANCER has won...anyways...the strange thing is...i didnt felt a single pinch of pain..at all.....
the same night....i had another BM...and same result...blood....
i started looking up desperately on the forums and found out i have AF... which was very depressing..
anyways...this is the 5th day...strangely enough...after taking precautions (applying vaseline around the anus and a bit inside with the pinky finger....and taking 2 sitz bath a day)....i dont have any more blood....
i tried eating green salad...(only twice so far)...4 banana's and grilled chicken .....avoided all spicy food....drank plenty of water...
just had a sitz bath again...and another BM....and no blood...so i guess i only bled for like the 1st and 2nd day (the day i discovered)...and since then....i m ok...
what do you all think? i checked carefully with a mirror...inspected my anus...i dont see any cracks....i dont feel any pain inside during BM...vaseline and sitz bath might have cured the AF/Crack very soon it seems..but im keeping my anus gently lubed with vaseline before and after each bm(with shower ofcourse)...
shall i be worried??
i reckon it was the harsh wiping that did the damage
please do sort this out for me...
im the newest kid on the block
Love to all
Recked
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Safe treatments during pregnancy...

Postby mommy2be » 13 Mar 2012, 13:32

Hello all. I recently discovered that what I believed to be my hemorrhoids acting up, is in fact an anal fissure. I've struggled with gi upset caused by IBS for many years and the chronic diarrhea is what caused my hemorrhoids. The OB believes that both my current pregnancy and my IBS have led to a fissure. Unfortunately, that's where her wisdom ended...no great advice. She has told me to continue to do what I was doing to manage hemorrhoids...drink plenty of water, up my fiber intake, take baths following bowel movements, exercise, etc. Due to the fact that I'm still in my first trimester, she does not suggest using topical treatments or anything other than tylenol. I have been using stool softeners sparingly to make passing stool bearable. Thankfully, I will see her again next week, and hopefully will receive some further counsel. Until then, I find myself dreading using the restroom. Bowel movements have become a bloody and painful venture, and the anticipation of the pain has me putting off going in there when I feel the urge. Unfortunately, I've found that if I wait hours after I feel the urge to have a bowel movement, my nausea increases (because the morning sickness really needs some help in that department). Does anyone have any tips on how to make having bowel movements more bearable when I've been told essentially to "hang in there" for the duration of my pregnancy?
Thanks!
mommy2be

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 16:44

Hi Mommy2be,
So sorry for your predicament!
There are other things you can apply that might aid in healing, like virgin coconut oil, aloe vera gel (make sure it's a brand that doesn't use alcohol as a preservative). There's also lanolin (lansinoh is the kind breastfeeding mom's use). Just warm it a bit first so it is a softer consistency.
The lanolin can act as a barrier too for when you have a BM as it is longlasting. Others like to apply a bit of petroleum jelly to help lubricate just before a bm. Makes it slide out easier and protects the fissure from friction.
For soft BMs I guess you are restricted to fibre. Most people here try to get more soluble fiber than insoluble as it makes for a less bulky stool. Prune juice also helps.
If you search here you will find some topics about using syringes or bulbs with olive oil or warm water to help ease out a stool you think might be difficult.
At the top of the page you can click on 'portal' and in the lower left side of that page is a better search engine than the one on the top right.
Also you might want to re-post with 'newtopic' directly under the new-to-forum section. That way more people will notice your post.
So welcome!!
Lots and lots of info here. people come and go as they heal, but there's always someone ready to help. We know how you feel!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

New to Forum

Postby jacksinger » 21 Mar 2012, 14:11

Thankful to be able to read other peoples experiences with this condition.
I'm a 48 yo male, and had a fissurectomy 3.5 weeks ago. I thought I had been suffering from hemorrhoids for 6 months, but was informed by my colorectal surgeon that I had a fissure and needed surgery. I informed him that the symptoms ranged from mild spotting after a BM to incredible spasmodic pain and bleeding.
All I can say is that had I known that the post-surgical pain would be this intense, I would never have opted for surgery. I am three weeks out and every BM is followed by hours of agonizing spasms and pain. On my 1st post-surgical exam I was told the incision was healing nicely and that some postoperative pain would be normal.
The oxycodone started to constipate me so I started using Miralax at my doctors suggestion.
The stools were softer, but the pain is still off-the-charts post BM.
He informed me after the 2nd week followup that he didn't do an LIS, as he thought my internal sphincter wasn't compromised and didn't feel the need to cut.
So, here I am, nearly 3.5 weeks after surgery and the pain is ten times worse than the pain of the initial fissure.
I know everyone heals differently, but I'm beginning to think the fissure was never properly fixed or has gotten worse due to the surgery.
Has anyone had to deal with post-surgical conditions much worse than the initial condition?
Thanks-
Jack
jacksinger

Postby workingonit » 21 Mar 2012, 18:37

Hey Jack,
You need to post this directly under the 'new to forum' section. You will get more replies that way. Or you could just post under the considering surgery section.
I have not had a fissurectomy but there are plenty of others here who have and it is a long slow healing process. 3.5 weeks is still early days.
Sounds like you are getting spasms. They make AFs especially horrible.
Sounds like you are doing a good job keeping your stools soft. That is the most important thing.
sitz baths are helpful and I would recommend you get an electric heating pad. It is super soothing!
As you heal, the spasms should start to go away.
This is all IMO from what I've read of other cases.
If you want to read other posts on this, go to the 'portal' section, next to the 'home' section up above. Then go down to the lower left side of the page. There is a better search engine there. Choose the google/posts options.
look for people like sweetbugaboo, and lindwe. They recently had fissurectomies too.
Hope you turn the corner soon!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

4 day post anal stretch op

Postby teacherel » 22 Apr 2012, 09:01

Hi guys..
Im new to the site and I really just want to talk to people that understand what were going through. My life has been hell for the last 12 months. My fissure returned after the birth of my 15 month daughter. I had one 7 years ago but went away with the help of the usual creams, but this time no way the fecker wont go away and im now 4 days post anal stretch op and skin tag removal procedure. Im still in pain when I go to the toilet. Does it get better.. Please God someone tell me it does?
teacherel
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby workingonit » 22 Apr 2012, 10:31

Hi Teacherel,
You need to post this directly under the 'new to forum' section. You will get more replies that way.
Was it a controled anal stretch or the kind where they use their fingers?
I've not had the stretch myself, but if you use the search engine above, you will find those that have.
Another search engine can be found in the 'portal' section, next to 'home'. In the lower left side, click on 'google' and 'post' and it will do a more thorough search.
4 days seems kinda soon to worry that it won't get better.
What did your doc say to expect?
so sorry you are feeling so miserable.
Welcome to forum, but sorry you are here.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Im new to the forum

Postby Bink » 26 Apr 2012, 09:03

I was so glad to find this forum. I really thought I was going crazy because all the other web sites say the pain should last anywhere from 1 o 3 hours after a movement. It doesn't tell you that this can be the most physical pain with emotional breakdowns wondering if it will ever heal. Pain was so severe, I went to emergency room hoping and praying that they could help. How discouraging to find out there was nothing they could do to help. Prescribed Valium which helps along with cream. Attacks are farther apart now but still creep up with fury. Weirdly at around the same time in the mornings about 1.5 mins after bm.
Love the forum and will be back soon.
Bink

Topics: 1

Postby LennyKing » 20 May 2012, 05:12

Hi I am a newbie finding this website very helpful, I have been in excruciating pain now for three weeks, I was first diagnosed by GP as having haemoroid, he gace me suppositories and proctosedyl ointment that were useless. I am in so much pain I went to hospital 4 days agothere i was diagnosed with fissure, I was given Rectogesic cream and told i could only use this once a day I am also useing Calendula cream I am still in pain all day can anyone suggest anything to give me some relief. Thank you for your help Lenny
LennyKing