Pneumatic Balloon Dilation and Skin Tag Removal -1 Week Ago

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Pneumatic Balloon Dilation and Skin Tag Removal -1 Week Ago

Postby BGAN » 27 Apr 2012, 08:39

Hey. You know what. BMs have been a non issue. I have not experienced any pain similar to the pain I had pre-op. None at all really. I have to say, I have been following a really great diet and using colace. I think I forgot to take my colace last night. I have been trying to remember. Anyways, I still had a great BM this morning. No bleeding today too! My depend barely has a stain on it so far today so I guess my bleeding is getting better. I can't speak highs enough about depends right fit. They're great, but I wont miss them when they're gone
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby BGAN » 27 Apr 2012, 08:43

I did that message from my phone so please excuse my typos. And no, no issues with control. I was constipated the first day after surgery but I have been quite regular. Each BM feels like they have always felt. Except no pain and no blood in the bowl.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 27 Apr 2012, 09:18

Over the long haul any procedure that messes with the sphincter is probably going to put a person at increased risk for incontinence as compared with someone who hasn't had a procedure. The same can be said for complex obstetrical cases as well. This study seems to confirm this, in which the conclusion is the following regaring LIS... "Fecal incontinence may present as a late complication of anal fissure surgery. Incontinence may be associated with other cofactors accumulating over time or, more likely, anal fissure surgery may accelerate the physiologic age-related weakening of the anal sphincter mechanism. Candidates for anal fissure surgery should be informed regarding this possible outcome." source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21805112
It doesn't mean we who suffer with fissures shouldn't have treatment for it, obviously, but it would be nice to have more choices, such as dilation. And currently doctors are so biased toward LIS over dilation, when LIS actually has a higher risk profile associated with it when it comes to immediate post surgical complications. It doesnt mean LIS is a bad procedure, but currently it is impossible to find dilation as a treatment anywhere at all in the US, other than at a couple of locations, which is really a shame. We need more options for this complex and highly individual problem, not fewer ones.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BGAN » 27 Apr 2012, 09:24

Well said jr.
That's what I felt. I had to have the surgery and with my life and with the options presented I went with the choice that best suited me. Trust me I didn't want the surgery but bleeding in the bowl every single day and an ever enlarging skin tag forced me to have a procedure
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 27 Apr 2012, 09:39

BGAN...
Exactly. And it's really so awesome that you were presented with options to choose from, and you were able to make a choice that felt right for you rather than having to choose something that you didn't feel comfortable with simply because there were no other options being offered.
I'm so glad to hear you are continuing to see progress in your recovery each day! Image
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 07 Dec 2012, 13:34

Hi BGan,
Just checking in to ask how your progress has been since the dilation. Are you fully healed, and how has your progress been since April. Before you had the procedure you mentioned you had your fissure for a year. Can I ask what ointment you were using during that time before you decided to move forward with the procedure?
I am hoping you are fully healed and enjoying life as it was before this episode.
Thank you, JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 07 Dec 2012, 13:34

Hi BGan,
Just checking in to ask how your progress has been since the dilation. Are you fully healed, and how has your progress been since April. Before you had the procedure you mentioned you had your fissure for a year. Can I ask what ointment you were using during that time before you decided to move forward with the procedure?
I am hoping you are fully healed and enjoying life as it was before this episode.
Thank you, JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2