new to this ... any advice greatfully received

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new to this ... any advice greatfully received

Postby ouch-uk » 30 Apr 2012, 07:53

Hi all,
It all started a few weeks ago... I tried to sort myself out, I'm on a high fibre diet anyway but a back injury a few weeks ago meant I got a bit bunged up with codeine. So I've been taking stool softeners and applying over the counter creams but i couldn't stand the pain anymore so went to the GPs this morning... so I now have stool softeners -like movicol, suppositeries with a steroid in for night time (lucky me) and an ointment which will apparently numb, but I'm waiting for the pharmacy to get it in... Clearly this is a new thing for me and I feel a slight fraud as clearly some peeps on here have had these problems for years...
I have never had pain like it!! Do people eat less when they have them... or stick to certain foods only? My Gp was really sympathetic and told me to go back if it hasn't improved in a few weeks..
Any tips or tricks would be greatly received :D
ouch-uk

Topics: 1

Re: new to this ... any advice greatfully received

Postby workingonit » 30 Apr 2012, 15:03

Hi,
So sorry you are in such pain!
It's good that you are looking for help at an early stage. I think a lot of us wish we had been so smart! Image
Well, diet-wise, it is good to eat lots of cooked veggies, double what you usually do. Soluble fibre is better than unsoluble as it is less likely to bulk up your stools. And chew more thoroughly, especially for red meat and nuts. Drink more water.
Do you feel pain after the BM or is it just with the BM?
If it is after, it is likely spasms of your sphincter muscle. You can do a search here and see what people have to say about that. I don't get them, but the same things that are soothing of spasms are also just soothing in general. These are warm sitz baths, and an electric heating pad. Personally I like the latter better as I hate getting wet.
The steroid might help in the short term, but I wouldn't take it too long as it can thin your skin after a while. There are other topicals that work better for fissures like nifedipine, diltiazem and nitro (gnt)
here's a helpful topic Davo started;
http://anal-fissure.org/t4482-uk-vs-us-brand-names-fissure-glossary
Hope your af heals quickly!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34