New to the forum, need painkiller recommendation.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum, need painkiller recommendation.

Postby Joe54 » 30 Apr 2012, 12:04

Hi my name is Joe. I've suffered from fissure on and off for nearly 10 years, I can't believe I am just finding this site now.
I'm currently experiencing the worse relapse since my first and worst case when I actually had to see a gastroenterologist. I was prescribed nitrol and I'm considering using some now. I don't recall which painkiller I am supposed to use with the nitrol, I just know not to use aspirin. Should I use naproxin or acetaminophen? ugh, the very thought of using the nitrol gives me a headache.
Thanks in advance. Joe.
Joe54

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum, need painkiller recommendation.

Postby jr2 » 30 Apr 2012, 15:20

Hi Joe,
So sorry to hear of your fissure recurrence. If you are bothered by the headaches with the nitroglycerin, your doctor can give you a prescription for either nifedipine or diltiazem to use topically instead. These medicines will do the same thing for the fissure but won't cause headaches. Aspirin combined with nitroglycerin can cause blood pressure drops in some people. Best to check with your doctor or pharmacist about what to use for pain in case the naproxen has any kind of similar crossover effect. Acetaminophen should be ok if it works for your pain, but just be careful with the dosages and never combine it with alcohol.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BillUltra » 01 May 2012, 09:51

My doc had me on ibuprofin daily, and valium as needed (when not driving or working), and I felt some relief for sure.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Joe54 » 01 May 2012, 14:46

Thanks for the replies, jr2 and BillUltra. I wound up pre-dosing with some generic acetaminophen before using the nitrol and I wasn't too bothered by the headache. I actually forgot to pre-dose before using the nitrol this morning and the headache wasn't nearly as bad as I remember them. Not sure if the nitrol has lost some potency or I'm just used to the dull ache. Either way I've taken the big step of going back on the nitrol which will hopefully get me on the road to recovery!
Joe54

Topics: 1

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here