Fissurectomy alone with only Novocain?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy alone with only Novocain?

Postby sososore » 02 May 2012, 16:50

I have being seeing an Board Certified colorectal surgeon for a fissure that I have had for 4 months. The lotions, potions and creams are not working and I am in terrible pain for several hours a day, so I told him today that I want surgery. I was shocked to hear him say that he doesn't believe in the LIS and only does fissurectomies. He is 70+ years old and I am concerned. He said that he does the surgery in his office and he will do it a week from today. I will lay on a table, get 3 shots on Novocain in the area and he will be done in 10 minutes. I will also get NO pain killers as they constipate.
He said that the pain will be excruciating for the first few days but I will be pain free in a week. I thought that fissurectomies alone were no longer really done, and I have NEVER read of Novocain alone for surgery and no pain killers. I know that pain killers constipate, but sweet Jesus, if you are going to rip me open, I am going to need something, am I right? Image I made an appointment with another doctor for a week from today and I don't know what to do. Do I delay the surgery to find someone to do the LIS, or does a fissurectomy alone with a few shots of Novocain in my rear not as crazy sounding as I think?
Thanks for any insight!
sososore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Fissurectomy alone with only Novocain?

Postby jr2 » 02 May 2012, 17:05

There is debate among surgeons about fissurectomy with or without LIS. Some feel fissurectomy isn't as effective and it certainly hurts more to recover from. Some feel LIS is too risky for incontinence. So, we as the patients are left to decide who to believe, and to read as much research as possible, and learn from the experiences of others.
Quite frankly though, any doctor who was that casual about pain management and anesthesia isn't a doctor I would want operating on me, particularly in such a sensitive area. I would definitely vote for a second opinion. Yes, painkillers are constipating, but there are ways to minimize that impact for the first days after your surgery with stool softeners, diet, and something like Miralax. Further, I wouldn't want to undergo the anxiety of a procedure like that done under local anesthesia only. But that's just me. You have every right to another opinion, and if it were me i would be getting one.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 02 May 2012, 19:06

HOLY CRAP!
If I were you, I would RUN, RUN, RUN (RUN!) as fast as I could to another CRS. Your CRS reminds me of my childhood dentist that refused to use Novocaine. He was a sadistic SOB. My CRS won't even give you a Botox shot unless you are under local anesthesia, much less a fissurectomy. Something seems REALLY wrong here, in my opinion.
RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby sososore » 03 May 2012, 21:02

I RAN and RAN and RAN to another surgeon today who was stupified over what the first doctor was proposing. This surgeon does the LIS under general anesthesia and said that there will be little pain or recovery time. Well, we'll see about that, but I liked how he explained things and I am going with him instead.
Thanks for the advice!
sososore
Fibre Addict

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 03 May 2012, 21:27

Good choice! Please follow-up and let us know how things go.
By the way, if you haven't done so, I would HIGHLY recommend you read through the posts on here by DAVO. He has lots of invaluable information for those that choose to have LIS (plus, they are funny as hell).
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 03 May 2012, 22:46

good for you! Image
so glad you were able to get another opinion so quickly, and that what you encountered was a HUGE improvement over that really scary first one. Image
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sososore » 04 May 2012, 07:40

Thanks again for all of the support. I really like the new surgeon and I am quite relieved. I have just a few more questions...
I would love to read what DAVO has to say. Is there a way to search for his posts? I tried typing in DAVO in the search and I also went to the portal, but I had no success.
Also, the only thing that threw me off a little with the new surgeon was when I asked about recovery from the LIS. He said that there isn't any. He said that I could have surgery on a Friday and be back at work on Monday. I have read a lot on this board and I know that some have a great experience with minimal pain, but I have also read many stories of pain that lasts at least a week. He said that there may be a little leakage for a few days and gas incontinence for up to 4 weeks, but that will stop.
I can't imagine sitting for 8 hours at work just days after the LIS. I think I will just tell my boss that I am taking some sick days after. I think I will also work from home (they are cool with that) for weeks after be ause I would DIE if I passed gas at work. I have been married for 20 years and we have yet to pass gas in front of each other and my hubby is my best friend, so if I won't do it in front of him...it just ain't happening at work. :oops: Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks! Image
sososore
Fibre Addict

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 04 May 2012, 13:33

Here's the best way to search for posts by DAVO:
1. At the top of the HOME page, click on MEMBERLIST.
2. Scroll down the list of forum members to locate DAVO (look for the picture of Homer Simpson) and click on his name.
3. On the top right-hand side of the page under PROFILE you will see POSTS and TOPICS. Click on either one of those and you will be able to find his posts. I promise: you will learn WAY, WAY, WAY more from reading his posts than you will from your CRS.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist