had LIS 8 hours ago...need advice and better drugs

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

had LIS 8 hours ago...need advice and better drugs

Postby Bottominal Blues » 01 May 2012, 14:14

hi all,
need advice. had lis this mornng, was home by noon. painful, percocets not doing much but real concern is the gauze taped between my cheeks. when i pee the pee dribbles down and has soak the gauze. stings lke heck. nurse sad to leave guae on until first bm which i hope is never. shoul i take guaze off to keep incision dry or at least not pee soaked? man i qution why i did this today. i know it will get better but for now.....owwwwwww
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: had LIS 8 hours ago...need advice and better drugs

Postby jr2 » 01 May 2012, 21:48

Hi there!
I think it probably warrants a call to your surgeon. It seems logical that it would be better to remove it early than to leave it in place with urine soaking into it.
It IS going to get better!
Those who have had surgery do say the first bowel movement after surgery is not nearly as bad as they feared it would be, and that once you get the first one over with things improve a lot from there.
I hope the pain starts to ease for you very soon, and if you feel your pain is not being well controlled, call your surgeon's office because they have medications they can cocktail on top of what you are already taking to get you better pain relief.
jr2

Topics: 15

pain subsided after 12 hours

Postby Bottominal Blues » 02 May 2012, 07:03

Hi,
Yes the pain did get better. I actually took the percocet only 3 times - every 4 hours and then decided to sleep the night without them and did fine. Guess it was the initial shock to the system. Haven't had a BM yet, but my stomach is starting to rumble....hopefully it will be as manageable as I have read. Hoping to control any other pain with tylenol from here on in as I know percocet is constipating. I can sit for short times now so that is pretty good as it has only been 23 hours since surgery! Looking forward to putting this all behind me (lol) that is, after that first BM......
Thanks for the support
Anne
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Re: had LIS 8 hours ago...need advice and better drugs

Postby 44alegna44 » 05 May 2012, 09:39

Hi Anne,
Sending you my best wishes that your recovery is going well Image !
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Thanks, it is an up and down recovery

Postby Bottominal Blues » 05 May 2012, 15:05

Thanks so much for your kind words Angel, they mean so much! Friends and family just don't understand, try as they might. I guess I expected to arrive home after surgery to be "cured" and having booked 2 weeks off work thought I was going to have all this time to catch up on unmarked work, writing curriculum etc (I am a teacher), but I wasn't expecting to be spending so much time sleeping and lying about! Day one was painful, took 3 percocets, day 2 nothing, thought to myself, this is great. Then day 3, painful, took a percocet and slept as I did on Day 4. Today, Day 5, I have only taken ibuprofen and I realize that I will have to stay on the Restorolax (Miralax) for a while until things are less tender. Maybe I am just a wimp with pain, but as I lay in bed listening to my kids talking around the dinner table about their days, I just want to be normal and be sitting there with them (my husband can keep doing the cooking, I don't miss that! however I think the kids would have something to say about it!). Anyway, again, thank you for "listening" and responding,
Anne
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather