Superficial fissure - what do I do???

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Superficial fissure - what do I do???

Postby Sue27uk » 11 May 2012, 14:23

I am unsure as to what to do and thought I would think aloud! I went for my follow up appointment on Tuesday, following one round of botox last November. I saw someone different (again!) and she did an anoscopy, which has caused me problems. She said there was one tiny superifical fissure but nothing really to see. I suppose this must mean I was healing, but now am in pain yet again. She seemed to focus more on my IBS, and has now booked me in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy to check for colitis. I have already been checked for this and don't understand why I am being put through this when it will obviously cause me pain. I will be undergoing this in a week and a half, and have no follow up appointment scheduled. She said for a superficial fissure I should not be getting the pain. In my botox examination I was told I had 2 fissures, and my doctor said he saw a 3rd after the botox which seems to have healed. I'm really confused at this next examination, feel they are grasping at straws and don't know what to do with me. I feel a bit tearful again (though not like before when I got depressed) as not sure whats going on. I was told last August my fissure was superficial, it always has been and isn't healing - somehow I don't think another camera examination is going to help. Do you think I should get a second opinion? I'm beginning to think it may be the wisest option Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Superficial fissure - what do I do???

Postby workingonit » 11 May 2012, 21:28

Hi Sue,
Did you see the private doctor?
Is this who wants to do the sigmoidoscopy?
If you are uncomfortable with this Doctor's direction then I would say you are wise to seek another opinion. Did you like the botox doctor? Can you see him again?
We all feel pain differently, so I don't know why the doctor is so mystified...
Would colitis cause pain in your anus?
Sounds like you got more questions than answers this time round. How super frustrating for you!
Go with your gut feeling, IMO.
I'm so sorry you're not having luck with doctors. It's so hard to find a doctor you can trust. But you need to keep searching!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sue27uk » 13 May 2012, 02:23

Hi Tanya, not the private doctor. I decided to wait for the NHS doc as I couldn't get in with private one until 2 weeks before. It's the NHS one who suggested the sigmoidoscopy. Unfortunately it looks like the doc who I liked has moved on as I got this other lady. I'm pretty sure it's not colitis, I have been checked for that numerous times. They would have found it in November when they examined me when they did the botox. I feel like giving up. That stupid woman has caused my fissure to re-tear, pain is getting worse every time I go for a bm and feel like she's set me back months. Feeling quite low again to be honest, just when things were getting better. Have decided to cancel the NHS sigmoidoscopy, and ringing for a private appointment tomorrow, what I should have done in the first place. Sorry for this slightly negative post, I'm just not really in a good place again and am sick of feeling like this after 15 months :(
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby workingonit » 13 May 2012, 12:46

Hey Sue,
So glad you are going to try the private path.
I agree, you have been on this roller coaster too long. I hope you find a doctor tomorrow who can think outside the box.
Sorry you are feeling so low. Best of luck tomorrow!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Sue27uk » 14 May 2012, 11:04

Thanks Tanya. I have decided to postpone the sigmoidoscopy until mid June (using it as an insurance policy in case things don't go right at the private appointment, if you know what I mean!). I have rung up and got an appointment with a private CRS next Thursday (24th May). So fingers crossed I can get this sorted. Will see what he says first, then if I decide to go ahead with treatment I can either just pay, or get referred back to the NHS with this guy if I get on with him. It's not straightforward is it?! Hope you are feeling good Tanya, I see your mood is not too bad! I hope things are ok with you :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby workingonit » 14 May 2012, 12:33

Hey Sue,
You've got some crazy health care going on over there!
Glad you have more options.
I haven't changed my mood in a long time. Things are OK.
Best of luck with the new CRS!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP