Smoking! - Sorry bad habit....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Smoking! - Sorry bad habit....

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jun 2012, 15:03

Hi all,
I appreciate this is something I just shouldn't do and wish I'd never started and I know I have to stop....but can anyone tell me what effect this will be having on my AF and bottom generally? Whilst I appreciate smoking poses a whole array of health issues, it's a time that I feel "relaxes" me (although I know that medically this is also not true!)....
I don't smoke much (maybe 4 a day, more on a bad day) but can this be having a bigger impact than I think on the whole situation? (Maybe messing with my digestion? increasing "urges" for a BM, that I might not need?)
I'd be really interested to hear of your views/ experiences on this topic ( I couldn't find anything on the forum other than smoking weed?)
Thank you :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Smoking! - Sorry bad habit....

Postby jr2 » 04 Jun 2012, 16:40

Aside from the numerous health troubles associated with smoking, which of course you already know, yes, smoking will likely stimulate more bowel movements as receptors for nicotine in the bowel are activated when you smoke. Unfortunately, smoking cigarettes also impedes wound healing. It also has effects on other parts of the digestive system, none of them positive (other than a slight relaxation of the internal anal sphincter, but not enough to really think it could be beneficial given all the downsides.)
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sana1 » 04 Jun 2012, 20:04

Many people won't agree with me, but when you have an active fissure, this is really bad time to quit smoking, because it wll add more stress on top of fissure stress IMHO. I never smoked myself, I may faint when others smoke next to me, but I truly think that you won't get any immediate benefits by stopping now (unless were strongly advised by a doc.)
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby sailorgal » 05 Jun 2012, 06:17

The concern with smoking and wound healing is that smoking decreases oxygen content in blood and overall blood flow to all tissues. This is a particular challenge when trying to get blood to flow with nutrients and oxygen to an area that is trying to heal when that flow is already impeded by spasms. There are studies that demonstrate when oxygen content and blood pressure/flow resume "normal" levels after a cigarette (if I remember correctly it is around 4 hours or so after a cigarette), so there are immediate physiological benefits to decreasing smoking when a wound is trying to heal. But, I can not speak for the "relaxation/stress" component if you were to try to quit/cut down - I think only you can determine that for yourself. I recommend my patients who smoke to at least hold off having a cigarette until after they come in for a treatment so that their blood flow is not at least compromised during a physical therapy session. Probably a compromise is to see if you can cut down or extend the time between cigarettes to optimize bloodflow/healing?
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jun 2012, 10:57

Thanks for your really helpful and informative replies to this. Sailorgal - that was really interesting to learn about the immediate physiological benefit. I really had no idea and although I'm not yet planning to stop completely ( I really don't think I could right now!) (I am so stupid).I am at least going to take this on board and find a compromise. I never smoke in the day at work - just first thing in the morning and a couple in the evening and I will certainly hold off prior to my next treatment. Thanks again all...
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again