Senna?? Wheat Germ??

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Senna?? Wheat Germ??

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 06 Jun 2012, 19:30

Hi all-
I've had a not great day and just don't have the emotional ability to relay it all but I have been taking benefiber and colace (two in morning and two at night) per my docs recommendations. Well, it seems to work for a week or so and then not and then work. I emailed my doc this and he said stop taking the colace and try senna, not senna-S and to add wheat germ powder to my daily diet. I searched senna here and didn't come up with great reactions to that. I saw that it's a laxative but I don't see that it's a stool softener so I'm a little concerned but given that things were pretty hard today I don't see how it could hurt to try it, really. I've tried Miralax on and off, sometimes burns, often makes me go more than I need even with adjusting the dose but maybe now I'm wondering if doing the Miralax and the benefiber is just too much and it's the combo that's making me go. So, what do folks think if I just try to eat fiber in my diet, not go fiber crazy but at least 20 grams a day and just take miralax, nothing else. Is that what most folks do? Thanks for any thoughts.
I should say while my overall pain (Fissurectomy in April, Botox about a week and a half ago) is better I feel like my mental tolerance is basically GONE. So, instead of focusing on the fact overall pain is better all I can do is get upset and cry if I have a bad day...why do we focus on negative instead of positive!! Thanks.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Senna?? Wheat Germ??

Postby jr2 » 06 Jun 2012, 21:01

Flanders,
I find I can't use Miralax by itself. It causes a lot of irritation and too many BMs. So, what I do is use acacia fiber (which is 100% soluble fiber) a dulcolax stool softener and 1/2 tsp of Miralax. I still get some of the rectal irritation but it isn't as bad as when I try to take more of the Miralax alone. The combination I use can still cause diarrhea, but that's because my GI tract is so sensitive and completely unpredictable day to day.
I would think senna would be pretty strong, a much stronger option than Miralax, as the way it works is to irritate the mucosa of the colon.
I hear you about the mental tolerance being gone. I'm having a really really bad day today, having had a recurrence again this morning after a couple of days of being slightly better. I keep going back to square one, my biggest problem being this wildly unpredictable bowel of mine. Crying is such a regular part of my life now I feel like its just part of the normal landscape of my day now.
Good luck with whatever your next experimenting brings, and let us all know how it goes!
jr2

Topics: 15

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements