Four days since surgery, need to know this will get better

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Four days since surgery, need to know this will get better

Postby newmomoct » 10 Jun 2012, 08:47

I had surgery on Wednesday June 6. I had a LIS, 2 fissurectomies with tag removal, and also a hemorrhoid removal (this was not planned). The first day or two I was feeling ok, sore but it was bearable. But the last two days I have felt terrible. The pain is increasing, whereas I thought it would decrease. Is this normal? I am being careful with my diet and soaking in the tub plenty. My doctor prescribed Vicodin and that is barely taking the edge off. I had thought I might be off strong pain medicine by now. I’ll be calling my doctor tomorrow but for now I’m just looking for some reassurance that this will get better and this pain will be worth it. I’m so happy this forum exists, I can talk to my husband but he doesn’t ‘get’ it.
newmomoct
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Four days since surgery, need to know this will get better

Postby 44alegna44 » 10 Jun 2012, 19:02

Hi new mom,
Congratulations on the surgery! So glad that's over for you and you're home beginning your recovery. Image
You've had a whole heck of a lot done to your backside and I'm gonna have to think that this
recovery would cause you more pain than you may have expected :( . I'm assuming that the first day or even two out of surgery, swelling in that area is actually progressing from the procedures. IMO, even with just a lis, it takes time for the area to swell to it's max, before it begins to dissipate. If I am right, then possibly that is what's happening, and combined with the fact that you are using the area for bm's, and possibly walking and sitting somewhat, it's causing you more pain now than it did initially Image .
I'm hoping it's something this simple and that your surgeon can possibly offer you something else in the way of pain management to get you through this rough patch Image . Stay positive new mom...I had lis, tag and 3 hemmies removed in one shot and experienced 10 days of pretty intense burning along with incision site soreness...but I found a bright side in no more spasms Image ! You had significantly more done...so the pain and soreness is, IMO, inevitable and expected. Hopefully you can see a bright side in believing that you are now on the true path to recovery and healing. There is finally an end in sight Image
Please let us know what the doc says, and my prayers are with you for more comfortable days, and complete healing... Image
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jax » 11 Jun 2012, 00:47

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. If it helps, everyone on this board can sympathize and empathize with you. But i agree with Angel about your body taking a while longer to react because of all the procedures performed on you. Have faith that it will get better. You just need to ride this out and its all down hill from there. I was miserable the first 36 hours after my LIS but it slowly got better. My Dr also prescribed me Percocets instead of the vicodin that I was given and it worked a lot better. Different drugs react differently depending on the person. So try something else if it may help.
I hope the worst is behind you and that your pain and discomfort begins to subside as you heal.
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 11 Jun 2012, 08:31

newmommy -
Congrats on your new baby. I had my first 6 months ago :) Just wanted to let you know I had fissurectomy only done and I actually felt okay the first 2 to 3 days and then my pain actually increased. I think it takes that long for the anethesia and nerve block, etc. to really wear off so that is totally normal. I don't want to scare you or anything but my pain was fairly strong for close to the first month after surgery but especially the first two weeks.
As the others have said you had considerable more done. I now sit a couple of months out of surgery and have developed internal hemmies. Well, they were probably always there but now cause me more pain than my fissure which is slowly healing. I don't want to have to go back and have hemmies removed so in some sense while you feel more pain now, hopefully you won't be trying to heal and then dealing with those as well.
My doc told me hemmy removal was probably the most painful surgery he does and said he tells those folks 6 weeks of good healing is needed. Again, I only tell you this because I was woefully unprepared for what I thought I'd deal with after the surgery and that just made it mentally more difficult to deal with. I think you sound like you are doing just like you should be but if you have any concerns call your doctor. That can at least relieve the mental worry. Good luck, the pain will get better than it is now and that area takes a long time to heal.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby newmomoct » 11 Jun 2012, 16:31

Thank you all so much for the feedback. My surgeon was very vague about recovery and he thought a week was more than enough time to be out of work. I spoke to a nurse today, and like you, she reassured me this is normal and to be expected. I just felt like I was needing the pain meds too much, at least more than I thought I should. She said if I still need the full dose in a few days to check back in.
Again, thank you all so much for the info and encouragement!
Suckdiddlyuckflanders - congrats on your new baby! Mine is almost 8 months. Recovery is interesting with a little one around!
newmomoct
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby 44alegna44 » 11 Jun 2012, 19:02

So happy to know you feel reassured Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 12 Jun 2012, 18:27

Thanks new mommy! I hear ya about recovery with a baby :) glad your mentally feeling better. Sometimes I'm not sure what's worse, the mental anguish or the physical!
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7