Hi...new to the forum and 6 months with my Fissure ):

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hi...new to the forum and 6 months with my Fissure ):

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Jun 2012, 15:28

Hi all...just an update after my 2nd EUA today!!!...
Well, all went smoothly, so far painlessly (but pretty sure that's still the after effect of the GA!)....
My CRS came to see me shortly after and confirmed I have a tiny fistula, which was very superficial, small and shallow and laid it open for recovery. Have a couple of tiny stitches, some anal swelling but been advised a healing rate of 95% and said I should be well enough to go back to work next week....can't believe it!! He said it was lucky to have caught it early....and wait for this!!!!.....
NO evidence of the original AF. He confirmed it had either 100% healed or it actually could have been a very small recurring absess and not an AF at all!!!. NOW nothing.
So I am a bit shocked, relieved, but can't allow myself to be 100% positive in that things are improving....just in case there's a setback!! I do feel great though but not looking forward to some of the forthcoming recovery pain, which I know will happen....Getting ready to pop the paracetomal!
Would definately say always go back to your CRS or get a second opinion if in doubt...It just shows that sometimes, even an initial diagnosis might not get it completely right and the SOONER you start treatment with any anal issue, the better. Just GET to the Docs....
Up until today, I'd still been getting the symptoms of a typical "AF" but to a lesser extent. It will be interesting to see how those symptoms compare with a recovering fistula!
I go back in 2 months for a further check up, so will update. In the meantime, will stick rigidly with my diet & fluids and do everything I need to do to heal and keep my bum forever as healthy as possible!!!
Hope you are all continuing to heal and sending hugs and thanks again for all your support xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby 44alegna44 » 21 Jun 2012, 06:07

Hello optimist,
Congrat's on a successful procedure and best wishes for a comfortable recovery. Great to hear you're in a much more positive space now... Image
Cheers to your healing and full recovery Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Jun 2012, 09:02

Aw thank you so much Angel for your kind thoughts Image
It's people like you (and others too on this site) that help make things so much better and reassuring for all of us. Your support and kind words are SO appreciated..I wish you too all the very best in your continuing healing and hope we can look back on this whole experience very soon, laugh about it and live happily ever after painless lives!! Image and Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby SpartanWoman0 » 05 Jan 2014, 10:09

Just an update from SpartanWoman (had to re-register as SpartanWoman0 but it's me). I ended up having a fistulectomy in October of 2012. It was relatively superficial, thankfully and the surgery went well. I was terrified that I would never feel normal again or that I would have to take stool softeners for the rest of my life. Once I healed from the surgery, I continued taking stool softeners regularly for a long time, it seems. Surprisingly, I started feeling normal again, no pain, and I didn't have to plan my life around BM's... By the time October 2013 rolled around, it was almost as if it had never happened.
One of the most insightful things I read was on a chiropractor's web site. He said he never saw a patient with AF for whom it was not related to emotional issues. This was a flag for me as I had been ignoring a big trauma in my family that happened 20 years ago and I only found out about 10 years ago. I finally started facing that, plus other childhood drama in earnest, found a therapist I liked and began the hard work. It's still a work in progress but I've been able to release a lot of anger and I think that's been critical to my recovery.
I'm fascinated by the connection between emotional and physical health. I can look back and see that the two are correlated in my own experience. I think I learned to cope as a kid by ignoring a lot of wrongs and that coping skill has not served me as an adult. I'm doing all I can to un-learn that, as well as doing a lot of self-acceptance work. I'm a big fan of Louise Hay and her "You Can Heal Your Life" book.
I feel like I've been to hell and back. And it's great to be back. For those who are still suffering: You can heal. It is possible and you deserve to be happy and healthy. You can heal.
SpartanWoman0

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jan 2014, 11:04

Hi Spartan Woman,
Wow - it's been some time and it's great to read your latest update. Well done on coming so far and getting through it all. It's truly inspiring for people such as yourself to pop back and show that fissures really can be beaten and you can get back to normality! I am also fascinated by the emotional/ physical and body/ mind link with these issues. The WAY in which you deal with them and have to harness the powers of your emotional mind is crucial and being positive goes a long way in the healing process.
As you know, I'm now over 2 years on and each Christmas has been progressively better since the dreaded 2011! I am healed up physically - the fistula is a blurred memory but I do have some stress sometimes still with coping with more difficult BMs and some fear creeps back in sometimes for fear or re-tearing the fissure. It really did affect me that badly.
BUT as you say it's great to be "back" and I just have to deal with that and carry on with life as normal.
The fissure really doesn't bother me now - I still have an odd twinge reminding me the area is not as strong as it once was but nothing major. It seems to be the piles that came about or at least were thoroughly aggravated through the process that still plague me to this day!!!! but at least they are manageable and no where near the pain or discomfort of a fresh fissure.
It's great that such a positive has come from a negative for you and that you are now able to deal with the emotional issues that needed addressing in your own life - It can only make you a happy and healthier person all around.
I know for me the whole emotional aspect of relocating home at that time along with all the stresses that accompany such a life-style change, was a major part of probably why this happened to me at that time. As things have calmed down and I settled, everything else gradually did too. Stress of any kind is undoubtedly is not good for anyone and I too found immense consolation in self-help books, strategies, meditation & positive visualisation.
I can only wish you all the very best in your fissure-free future and hope you manage to overcome all your past demons and move on to a much better place!
Thanks so much for posting because refreshing my own post once again has enabled me to put things back into perspective and see exactly how lost and how difficult life was back then! Glad to say it is SO much better these days!
Ever the Optimist

Postby SpartanWoman0 » 05 Jan 2014, 14:13

E-the-O,
Thanks for your reply and for the well wishes. Best wishes to you also! Happy New Year!

:stars:
SpartanWoman0