Finally shared my anal fissure woes with friends and family

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Finally shared my anal fissure woes with friends and family

Postby Kat » 27 Jun 2012, 18:12

In all the years I have had an af I had never really discussed my af woes with anyone other than my husband as was too embarrassed. However last week I found some of my family and friends refused to let me fob them off with vague reasons for my surgery. So I finally shared all the gory details with anyone who seemed to care enough to want to know.
While no one else I talked to had experienced an af, a few of them had experienced haemorrhoids over the years and some had even had surgery for those and so they were able to sympathise. I was also able to explain why I have had such terrible headaches for years (thanks to the Rectogesic) and so been a bit on the cranky side on occasion.
Anyway I was relieved and glad I finally shared. No one flinched away (which is what I thought would happen), and they were all interested to know how the surgery would help. I think that UK TV show Embarrassing Bodies is fabulous and has made it a lot easier to share medical problems like anal fissures!
That said I probably gave a little too much information to my 12yo daughter when I explained to her about what an af was, what can cause an af, what the surgery involved and what I hoped the surgery would achieve. She felt really bad when she learned that it was my giving birth to her all those years ago that caused my first af. She apologised profusely to start with and then came back to me a few days later to say that she didn't ask to be born! I did then go on to explain that it might have happened anyway and that plenty of men expereience anal fissures and obviously didn't get them from childbirth! Am glad I told her though :).
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Finally shared my anal fissure woes with friends and family

Postby whatwhat » 28 Jun 2012, 07:51

Well done for sharing esp after so long Image
It is weird at first but now everyone in my family/friend group knows. It is easier that making up lies as to why I am turning down pizzas and booze, plus, like yours so many of mine have had similar issues too.
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Earthworm » 28 Jun 2012, 23:48

I shared with my direct family but not with friends.
The embarrassment factor is obviously high and only those people I trust not to chuckle are in the 'circle'.
I am going to have to have surgery eventually and am therefore going to need time off work. I don't quite know what I am going to tell my boss yet - I will possibly make up another ailment or be generally vague.
Earthworm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Kat » 29 Jun 2012, 05:12

Good luck with your surgery Earthworm!
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6