Having second thoughts on surgery this week...Need input plz

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having second thoughts on surgery this week...Need input plz

Postby sadies-day » 28 Jun 2012, 13:15

I just had mine done at 0815 this morning. I was having doubts as well. Thankfully this week I had a good 'bout of irritation that made me realize this was the right decision.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Kat » 29 Jun 2012, 06:10

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery Paininthe.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Paininthe » 29 Jun 2012, 07:18

Thanks Kat. Im leaving in 5 minutes to head over to surgical center. I am DREADING this but I am looking forward to being on the other side.
Paininthe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Paininthe » 29 Jun 2012, 19:21

Hi everyone who has been supporting my husband. He had the surgery today. Turns out the Fissure was large and required stitching along with LIS. He also had two hemorhoids removed. My husband is in a lot of pain but trucking through it with the help of percocet. He must have said numerous times today that he was so glad he went through with the surgery after learning that the fissure would have never healed on its own. Thank you for giving him the place to learn and feel comfortable talking about a very touchy topic. He or I will keep you posted. Thanks again Image
Paininthe
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 29 Jun 2012, 20:17

Thank you so much for logging in and giving us an update. Please let him know we're all keeping him in our thoughts and wishing him a speedy recovery and forever healing!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Paul Sheldon » 30 Jun 2012, 06:47

You guys hang in there. I have a good feeling he is going to be feeling much better very soon! Sending positive thoughts your way.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Postby Paininthe » 30 Jun 2012, 07:39

HI Everyone! My husband is doing a little better today but still in a lot of pain. The only thing is, and maybe you all can give us some advice, is that he is packed with gauze and is contemplating pulling it out. He thinks that it is the gauze that is making him so uncomfortable. He hasn't had a bm yet either. Any suggestions. Dr. said that gauze will come out during a sitz bath or his first BM. Some packing came out yesterday but there seems to be much more up there....YIKES! Thoughts? Thanks
Paininthe
Fibre Addict

Postby Paul Sheldon » 30 Jun 2012, 07:49

Thanks for the update glad he is feeling a bit better! All of my gauze was packed on the outside so I did not have much of a problem. I took my first bath a few hours after surgery and I am not going to lie it was yucky to say the least but that is where I removed the gauze, in the tub.
If he thinks he will be more comfortable he could try the bath and see if he can remove it or if it comes out on his own. Don't be alarmed at the mess that may occur. You may want to get him some of those adult diapers. I wore them for the first few days and it was a lot easier than trying to use a gauze pad.
Also I did not have my first BM until day 3 and I needed to use a bit of laxative to get it doing. I think if it is not easy to get out he should not force it and just wait for BM.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Postby 44alegna44 » 30 Jun 2012, 08:06

Hello,
Please send your husband my best wishes. I didn't have packing after my surgery, but have heard of some others who have pulled their's out due to discomfort. Honestly, if it were me, I'd place a call to the crs office, they should have a service that will touch base with the doc and get your question through to him. Hopefully he'll respond and instruct you if this is ok to do or not. Also, please let your husband know that I also had hemmie's removed and stitching with my lis. There was burning involved with the bm's for a while and is quite normal when this combination of procedures are done. I just don't want him to worry, should he experience
this symptom, that something is wrong. Just make sure he is soaking immediately after the bm, as well as throughout the day.
My sincere best wishes for comfort through his recovery and healing are with you both. Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Paininthe » 01 Jul 2012, 13:55

Hey all of my secret fissure society friends! Yes, I am alive and ok. As my wife described on previous posts, pain was bad first day and night, then had first BM issues resolved last night around 8pm last night. Seemed as if on at least 10 occasions prior to my first BM yesterday my body was telling me that I had to go which ended up in 5 minute stints on the toilet and nothing coming out. I was becoming stressed out wondering what was goin on down there! Apparently my backside was packed heavily internally with gauze. I swear the entire state of NJ could have heard me shout "OH MY GOD!" as the guaze and BM passed. Bleeding was minimal afterwards, but pain came back which I beat down again with my beloved percocet.
Went to bed with with maxi pad in my undies (cannot believe I just typed those words), then woke up this am with minimal staining on pad. Had breakfast, then off to bathroom for BM. Again, it was a horrid painful event. I guess as expected from reading other posts. Hey Kat, I recall your past posts where u advised that on day 5 you were still not feeling well, then day 6 u came around. Im kinda counting on a similar recovery at this rate.
I have been eating tons of fiber rich foods and hydrating as much as possible to counteract the constipation caused by percocets.
As my wife had mentioned earlier, I am so glad I got this done, especially due to the fact that the fissure was large enough where CRS needed to clean it up and stitch it together. If I had opted to cancel surgery and try to heal without surgery, this problem would have just been kicked down the road until the large tear got LARGER. I just hope to recover quickly, then get back into a life where I wont have to dwell on this anymore. Thank you all for your support. I will keep you posted on my recovery.
Paininthe
Fibre Addict