magnesium

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

magnesium

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2007, 05:19

ive read on various sites that taking magnesium can work as a stool softener, so i bought some, but it says on the packet that i can only take one 250mg tablet a day and not to exceeed the recomeded dose. on the sites i saw it recomends taking much higher amounts. so i dont know what to do, does anyone else take magnesium and how much? or can anyone recommend a differnt natural stool softener?

Re: magnesium

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2007, 08:45

I take magnesium every day. I take (3) 400 mg pills a day at the same time so that is 1200 mg. I know the instructions on the bottle will read less but my sister who is a Naturopathic doctor recommended that I take that dose to help with going to the bathroom. It helps to relax muscles so you can pass stool more easily. It really helps.
I also take aloe vera (2-3) capsules a day. I don't know the mgs though. It is known to be a very mild laxative. I also think it is good for the gut lining.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Nov 2007, 08:52

*IF* you take any mineral, you need to take them all. They work best in combination....calcium + magnesium + zinc.+ potassium+ selenium...plus a dash of copper.
It is better for your body, that way, too, and safer.
Also remember, that unlike water soluble vitamins (the C and B complex)minerals and fat soluble vitamins DO NOT exit the body quickly and in large doses will accumulate within the body and cause nasty problems. So be careful with those at high doses!! I would never take high does of minerals, only the recommended amount, unless otherwise directed by a Dr.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2007, 13:33

hmmm dunno, maybe il just take 1 a day like it ses and see if i feel a difference. thanx 4 the advice!