Painless fissure.. surgery or cream?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Painless fissure.. surgery or cream?

Postby dreadz » 11 Jul 2012, 11:51

Hey all. Image
Reading through stories.. I seem to be very lucky!
Years back, I had hard stool - got a fissure.
Was painful at the time and I remember a tiny bit of blood, but I just moved on.
It wasn't for a couple years later that I realized it became a fissure/bump that didn't heal correctly and instead, stuck out.
I've never honestly had hard stool since. It was because I had my first boyfriend and I'd rush in the bathroom to get out as quick as possible. Egh.
Anyway, it's painless, but I wanted to check out surgery basically for cosmetic reasons. I also have a very small bump close by and I'm just going to assume the worst that it's a wart. I'd like both removed even though they're not painful.
Though, I read about creams that tend to fix the problem, as long as it's not chronic fissures. No matter what, I need an exam, correct? Blah, good thing I'm pretty well off with making light of embarrassing events. Image
dreadz

Topics: 1

Re: Painless fissure.. surgery or cream?

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 12:16

To be honest, at this point, if you've had the fissure for this long (even if it is not painful) it is probably a chronic fissure and the chances of it healing with Nifedipine or Diltiazem is unlikely, based on what my colorectal surgeon (CRS) has told me.
In addition, you might not even have a fissure at all - it may have healed improperly as a superficial fistula (this happened in my case) or you may have developed a skin tag.
The best thing to do is to make an appointment with a CRS. They will do a quick exam, tell you what you are dealing with, as well as what your options are.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby dreadz » 11 Jul 2012, 12:26

thisfissurecankissmybutt wrote:In addition, you might not even have a fissure at all - it may have healed improperly as a superficial fistula (this happened in my case) or you may have developed a skin tag.

That's what I was thinking! The hardest part is trying to understand what it technically is for making phone calls/research. Skin tags don't seem to be the answer though. It can't be cut off as easily as one where it's barely hanging on. This is the first time I'm hearing of a superficial fistula - so thank you, I'm going to look into it! Anything will help!
I'll look into the CRS, too. I had no real idea on who to contact and it was to the point that I was just going to call surgery centers and just keep asking around. Thank you so much!
dreadz

Topics: 1

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 13:07

No problem! Definitely go to a CRS as opposed to a general surgeon or general practitioner. You want to go to someone that has specialized training in dealing with butt issues, and deals with them day in and day out.
Here's a good place to find a board-certified colorectal surgeon near you:
http://www.abcrs.org/cgi-bin/search.pl
By the way, just because you go to a CRS doesn't mean you have to have surgery. They may be able to offer you other alternatives, depending on what they find.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Jul 2012, 14:05

Hi,
Please keep us updated on this one because I'm really curious to find out what you have!....
To me, it also doesn't sound like a fissure, simply because of the bump description and the fact it's painless...I'm also thinking fistula but you've had no signs of draining or soreness, which tends to accompany one of those at some point...
Perhaps you're fortunate enough just to have a simple pimples or something or possibly haemmroids?? They can be pretty much painless for some people??
Once you've found out, please update!! :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again