I Think I May Be Getting Better

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I Think I May Be Getting Better

Postby mistergus » 09 Jul 2012, 17:17

Along with many others, I so appreciate this forum. Amazing to actually have a reason to read pooping stories. But once you have an AF, you understand.
I have suffered with my AF off and on for over a year. I have had so many setbacks, I've at times dispaired about ever getting better.
However, I'm starting to have real hope that I'm turning the corner on this thing, and actually beginning to heal. Today makes the third day in a row without any real spasms at all. There's still this dull ache down there that takes awhile to go away, but those hellish spasms...haven't had them.
I can't describe the level of pain these spasms can produce. Until they subside (often hours after a movement), driving or riding in a car has had me trying to lift my butt up in the air, even to the point of moaning, crying, even yelling out in pain. I've been up at 2:00 a.m. walking the streets trying to get them to subside. Man, it can hurt.
After describing the pain to my CRS, he prescribed .3% Nitroglycerine ointment. Isn't .2% the norm?
But now, for three glorious days, no spasms.
I've hit on a routine that may just be working for me.
1. I take several of the Wal-Mart brand of the Metamucil fiber capsules after every meal. Of course, I drink plenty of water.
2. I try to put an emphasis on high-fiber foods. Although, my CRS told me he thinks a "high fiber" diet is inadequate, that everyone (not just AF sufferers) should be taking a fiber supplement.
3. I think I do better with a little extra soluble fiber, so every day I have a couple of "fiber gummies".
4. I had been taking a laxative every night, but found it difficult to hit on the right dosage. Either my stool was still too hard, or it became too runny. So I've switched to Peri-Colace (the Wal-Mart version) stool softener. I started with a lower dosage, but after some trial and error, have settled on taking 4 every night.
I think the stool softener may be one of the final pieces of the puzzle. My stools are so much easier to handle now.
Of course I could have a bad day tomorrow. But my overall trend seems to be improving over the last couple of weeks. I so want to get past this.
mistergus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: I Think I May Be Getting Better

Postby AFalumni » 10 Jul 2012, 08:16

What is a fiber gummy?
AFalumni
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mistergus » 10 Jul 2012, 19:24

AFalumni wrote:What is a fiber gummy?

Well, here's the brand I've been taking, but they're available under alot of different names...
http://fiberadvance.com/
They're 100% soluble fiber. One of the lessons I've learned is to go easy on the insoluble fiber (Raisin Bran is an example...tears me up).
Had another good day today, BTW. Had to drive ove 100 miles to the job site, and no spasms! Had that dull ache, but it's alot easier to handle than those "charlie horse" rectal spasms. I'm starting to actually believe I'm turning the corner!
mistergus
Fibre Addict

Postby AFalumni » 13 Jul 2012, 07:47

What do you mean when you say Raisin Bran tears you up? Diarrhea? Or actual pain with a BM? BTW, I asked my CRS about the gummies. He said to try them. Apparently we are all different and need to find that magic combination that works for our own bodies...
AFalumni
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mistergus » 13 Jul 2012, 20:27

AFalumni wrote:What do you mean when you say Raisin Bran tears you up? Diarrhea? Or actual pain with a BM? BTW, I asked my CRS about the gummies. He said to try them. Apparently we are all different and need to find that magic combination that works for our own bodies...

Raisin Bran fiber is nearly 100% insoluble. For me, it clumps up in what feels like a hay-bale type mass that reinjures the fissure. It seems to harden into a hard mass that simply doesn't pass easily.
Since I would eat it for breakfast, right after having a BM, it was "first in line" every morning. And no matter how much water I tried to drink, it was always impossible to pass without "pushing" it some to help it along. And that would keep reinjuring the fissure. I hardly touch it anymore.
And that's another bad thing...because I always have liked Raisin Bran!
mistergus
Fibre Addict