Irritated!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Irritated!

Postby sadies-day » 10 Jul 2012, 18:52

I'm 11 days post LIS and the irritation (mostly itching at this point) following a BM is driving me insane. When does it go away and what do folks do to deal with it?
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Irritated!

Postby bdawn » 11 Jul 2012, 00:42

Hey Sadie,
It's been quite awhile since my LIS. I remember letting it air out a lot and that seemed to help the itching. I would sleep without underwear and let the fan hit that area. I kind of think it's the moisture that causes the itching. You can also use the blow dryer on cool after cleaning and that helps some to keep things dry. You will most likely see great improvements within your 2-3 week mark post op.
bdawn
Fibre Addict

Postby bdawn » 11 Jul 2012, 00:44

Another thing that can feel really good if you are able to this soon post op and have one- is a hand held shower wand. It feels really good when you have an itch that you can't touch and also helps keep things clean.
bdawn
Fibre Addict

Postby sadies-day » 11 Jul 2012, 17:16

Thanks for the advice. At what point after surgery did folks start using ointments such as calmoseptine? Also, after a BM, I'll get myself clean and then a little while later I'll feel the irritation set in and then I go to wipe again and there's more stool (which is a big part of what's causing the irritation I believe). I had this problem before the surgery and the doc said it was because the muscle was too tight and sometime after the BM it would relax releasing a bit more stool. I wouldn't have expected the same problem after surgery to loosen the muscle. Any thoughts?
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Kat » 18 Jul 2012, 04:17

I have had the same problem, but I haven't been using any postions/lotions etc. A hand held shower sounds like a good idea.
My fissure and surgery wound feel like they are largely healed now. I am day 25 post surgery and have my first follow up appointment with my doctor tomorrow and so I am hoping he's going to tell me I am all healed. I have had 10 consecutive days of pain free bms. Oh the relief! Fingers crossed it stays that way. Next challenge is to wean myself off the laxatives/stool softeners.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6