Help! Ouch!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help! Ouch!

Postby thefer74 » 20 Jul 2012, 12:02

Hi
I am new here. I just joined today looking for help with an anal fissure. I was dx years ago with one by my CS. He gave me prescriptions for creams and it healed. Since then, this same one reopened a couple of times but it was minor and cleared up without doing anything.
During the last 4 weeks, I went on vacation, moved to a new state and got a new puppy. I went through alot of changes which added stress and changed bowel movements. I can't recall exactly how the AF reopened. I suspect it was when I arrived in my new state, eating habits changed along with the hot weather (110 degrees) and I also have been eating more rough foods such as popcorn, tortila chips, nuts etc.
Anyways, I am going on 4 weeks of feeling like I am passing glass. I have looked in the mirrow and it is open with a small flap of skin or bulge on the outside. After bowel movements, I am in pain for several hours if not all day. I am usually in a cold sweat when I am done with a BM. I have tried OTC and they seem to settle down the pain but I am back to square one in the morning. It does bleed at least once a day. Passing gas hurts like the dickens. It does feel tight like spasms. Stools are soft.
Any suggestions on what to do? I will have insurance next month so I will make an appt. I just need to get through the next 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how to get it to close? I have called my previous CS in my last state and left a message. I am hoping he can call in something to help in the meantime.
Any help would be great. I am so uncomfortable.
Thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Help! Ouch!

Postby mistergus » 21 Jul 2012, 09:20

As one who thinks he's on the road to healing (spasms are nothing like they used to be), let me offer a few suggestions.
1. Go easy on the non-soluble fiber. I think my present relapse (and it was a bad one) was brought on due to my deciding I needed to eat a lot of celery. It was like passing a hay bale. Of course you need some, but not a whole lot. Raisin Bran fiber is nearly 100% non-soluble, so I have to be careful with that, too.
This is why I prefer Metamucil capsules, as Fibercon is much more weighted to the non-soluble.
2. Take a fiber supplement with every meal, dosage depending on how much you eat. Personally, I take 2-4 capsules at a time.
3. Stool-softeners every night. Laxatives never worked well for me, couldn't seem to get the dosage right. Your stool needs to be a toothpaste-like. If it's not that soft, adjust the dose. You absolutly cannot allow yourself to have hard stools.
4. Never, never, strain. Hard lesson for many of us. It's almost always going to set you back. Even when passing gas, try not to strain. It can set you back just like passing a stool.
Saw my CRS last Monday, he said he could see signs my fissure was healing. I still have the regular extended periods of aching, but the spasms have almost totally disappeared. For me, that is a great improvement.
But I've learned to not let up on this thing, Fissures can be so sloooow to heal, you have to stay on top of it long-term. Once you've had a fissure, you're at higher risk for them in the future. We're talking lifestyle change here.
mistergus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2