greetings from new poster needing advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

greetings from new poster needing advice

Postby emy » 30 Jul 2012, 03:59

hello there everyone.
i found this forum by looking up my symptoms online, and really need some advice. i am a 25 year old female (uk based) and have suffered from blood streaks and pain with my bowel movements on and off for around 6 months but have been too afraid to seek advice hoping it would stop for good each time.
i have been using fybogel when it appears and is at its worst (i initially thought it might be piles as there is family history of this condition) i also recently bought natural psyllium husks to try and avoid the aspartame in fybogel but have not tried it out yet.
the only thing i can think of which has changed in my life since it started is starting university and becoming a meat eater after 10 years of being a vegetarian. though i am not sure what impact this could have had?
i am hoping to discover an ideal diet/plan to help, but have no idea where i should start and would love some advice from you all. i am at a loss on what to do :(
kind wishes
emy

Topics: 1

Re: greetings from new poster needing advice

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Jul 2012, 09:55

I am 28, female and also in the UK. I know it is embarrassing but I would go to your GP. They will be able to tell you if it is a fissure and refer you to a colorectal surgeon if further treatment is required. I know this sounds scary but honestly they know what they are doing! It can take a long time on the NHS too! I have ended up going private after 18 months!
If it is identified as a fissure, you will be advised of the options. Some people say to increase your fibre intake (which I have found difficult with IBS). But I make sure that I eat at least 2 portions of fruit a day and plenty of veggies with a meal at night and brown bread. Bananas are good for digestion. Alot of people say to avoid meat but the only thing I have found is not good is alot of cheese (for obvious reasons!). You need to drink plenty of water each day.
Regarding medication, first of all you may be prescribed a stool softener to make it easier to go. I have been using lactulose for a while and it worked but have just started using movicol. You can buy it over the counter and dissolve it in water and it keeps things soft so more comfortable. My doctor has said movicol is very gentle and appropriate to use for longer periods of time. You can also try sitz baths, I ordered a portable bidet from amazon. Once you have been to the toilet you can bathe in this to help with muscle spasm and pain. Also try to go for gentle walks and exercise as this is meant to help with healing as it increases bloodflow.
If you go to the doctor they will probably prescribe rectogesic (which can give some headaches) or diltiazem. I have used rectogesic alot and can tolerate it. It is inserted twice a day and helps the muscle to relax. I know it sounds gross but honestly you get used to it when you have to!! I use a glove covered in clingfilm to help. I would say this is your first course of action. As the fissure is over 6 months old it may be more difficult to heal but not impossible and it is worth trying this first.
If this doesn't work you may go down the route of having botox injections, and if they don't work then further surgery. Do not worry about this though, I have just had surgery after 18months! I tried all the other options first. I would say go to your GP, you may have to be persistent and find the right GP and Colorectal surgeon but you have every chance of making a full recovery. Just noticed aswell you said you have just started university, are you feeling a bit stressed with it all? Stress can also cause this and contributed to me getting this following another operation. I hope this info helps! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer if I can. Also have a browse round the site, lots of different things to try and help. We are all different and respond to different treatments! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21