Having second thoughts on surgery this week...Need input plz

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having second thoughts on surgery this week...Need input plz

Postby 44alegna44 » 01 Jul 2012, 14:50

Oh, ok, that answers my question from yesterday "what the hell was that?". We heard you loud and clear here in Jersey..lol!
Glad to hear an update from you...I totally get the initial post-op pain, but soon enough you'll hit the day when it is less, and then each day to follow you should feel it ease up a little more.
I'm really excited about your positive attitude and confidence in your decision to proceed with the surgery. This state of mind will help you sooo much through your recovery...
My best wishes and prayers will be with you throughout your recovery for comfort, full healing and this chapter closed!
Best regards to your wonderful and supportive wife....
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Paininthe » 03 Jul 2012, 08:04

Hey All,
I am on day 4 of recovery. It seems as if the worst part for me so far has been the mornings when I have first BM. BM's feel as if I am giving birth to a 30lb alien. Once I feel it coming on, my pain down below instantly goes from 0-60. Although it is a pressure type pain and not spasm. Yesterday, day3 first BM put me over the edge, I was sweating bullets and felt faint as it approached and passed. Bleeding was minimal, sitz bath was helpful. I ended up having to to take a percocet along with a nap afterwards. Today I just had first BM. Pain was not as bad as day b4 but bad. Sitz, lie down and percocet again. Im keeping my fingers and legs crossed hoping tomorrow will be a bit less painful. This is not fun.....
Paininthe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby jr2 » 03 Jul 2012, 08:58

Paininthe
I wish there was a way to fast forward through these initial days following surgery for you. I so hope you start feeling significantly more improvement with each passing hour. Are you finding your BMs are okay with the Percocet? It isn't causing your BM to be too hard or causing constipation?
Wishing you all the best for continued healing and relief, and that the aliens keep away from your bowel!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Kat » 04 Jul 2012, 06:58

Post op is not a fun place to be is it? The first bm is a killer. Good to hear there's no regrets for having gone ahead with the surgery. It was nice of your wife to post your post op notice to keep us informed :). My hubby cannot believe I am sitting here typing away about my bowel movements each evening. That said he doesn't want to hear about my bowel movements!!
I am day 12 today and had an awesome day. The bm still hurt but it felt more like a bruising sort of a hurt rather than the kind of hurt that goes with trying to pass a piece of glass.. if that makes sense. And it only took a few minutes to recover after the bm, whereas previously I'd go and lie down for an hour or so and I'd take a paracetemol, but today I didn't even feel the need to take parcetemol! Anyway it made me feel like the wound is actually healing at last and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I also got out and about and resumed what felt almost like normal life, tho am still on leave as my doctor gave me a certificate for two full weeks off, and I won't be able to claim a return to normality until i get back into running and going to the gym but am not going to head back to the gym until after I have seen my doctor for post op follow-up on the 19th of July.
I am a little bit nervous about what tomorrow holds tho as am finding the recovery is two steps forwards and one step back. Also I did eat a lot more today than have eaten since the surgery as I found I was hungry for the first time since the surgery 12 days ago. I reckon I've been getting by on about 1000 calories a day since the surgery as have just not been hungry, and I figured less going in means less coming out. But I reckon today I probably ate about 2500 calories... hmm now I think about that I suspect I will pay for that tomorrow.... fingers crossed
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Paininthe » 16 Aug 2012, 15:27

I havent logged on in a while but just wanted to let all know that I feel great! Surgery was done on 6/29/12 and today is 8/16/12. Surg was best move I've ever made. First 2 weeks post op were painful and ucomforterable as expected, but beyond that, things got good and have stayed good. For anyone reading this thread. Listen to me. GO AHEAD WITH THE SURGERY. LIFE IS GOOD FOR ME NOW AGAIN AND IT WILL BE FOR YOU. I PROMISE!!
Paininthe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1