Digital Rectal Exam under general anethetic

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Digital Rectal Exam under general anethetic

Postby comfortablynumb » 25 Aug 2012, 12:13

Hi
ben having blood/pain after going loos for almost 8 weeks (see my intro for more info) Went to see CRS today and I refused to let him do a DRE as bum painful. He then asked if he could insert a camera - which happened to be bigger than his finger so I again refused.
He said he will have to perform a DRE under GA and also have a look with a camera (not a sigmoid or colonoscopy) I just wondered if any of you have had this done under GA? How long does it take? Pain after? Will I have to have an enema or similar beforehand?
CRS also said that if i do have a fissure or hems then they wil inject with botox and for the hem do the banding there and then.
Im waiting for my appointment for this. In the meantime he has prescribed RECTOGESIC - WOW!! Headaches galore!!! - Im not happy it doesnt come in suppository form as sticking my finger up there really isnt nice! :)
Any advice!!!????
comfortablynumb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Digital Rectal Exam under general anethetic

Postby jr2 » 25 Aug 2012, 13:16

I haven't had this done as my fissures are always visible from a gentle visual inspection by the physician. As far as whether you will need an enema, totally impossible to know as every physician is different. As far as pain afterward, that will depend on what you have given your surgeon permission to do while you are sedated. If you agree to let him inject Botox or take care of the hemorrhoids while you are sedated you will have a substantially different experience afterward than if you just have an exam under anesthesia.
Personally, I wouldn't feel at all comfortable consenting to any procedure without knowing what I've got first and what procedure or procedures are being recommended and why. I would want the examination under anesthesia first, get the diagnosis and recommendations, and then get all my questions answered about all my options. Everyone is different of course, but that is how I would go about it.
If the Rectogesic is giving you headaches you can ask your doctor to switch you to topical nifedipine, which won't give you headaches but will give you the same effect.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby richibeno » 26 Aug 2012, 10:09

i went to my crs last week ,i was healing after a painfull and sometimes bloody 2 months ,i had seen him before ,we talked asked about what was going on ect ,then examination time ,owch ,finger ,then the scope ,(do they blow it up inside you)was painfull and i even swore in there ,he said sorry about that proberly made it worse again and it started to bleed again yes he said i had a fissure and a polyp and has booked me in for bottox and removal of the polyp,
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Savaici » 26 Aug 2012, 10:59

Hi there, comfortablynumb!
I recently had a CRS look with a camera. They used a sigmoid scope, but did not go far in. I was given an IV with Fentanyl, but no actual anesthesia, and did not feel much (I am VERY sensitive and it was not that painful, but helped along by the opiate, no doubt). The doctor was extremely gentle and used the smallest scope. I felt very little, and I have been in a lot of pain and they could not examine me at my first appointment (literally screamed at the one doctor touching me).
Before having it I was told not to eat the night before and to use an enema twice (a heavy Fleet one) to clear out the rectum two hours before the procedure. I used Fleet Naturals, which worked very well. Four bottles and very gentle. They said they had never seen such a clean rectum and sigmoid... :)
Afterwards, I was told I had large internal hemorrhoids, a tight anus and diverticulosis. This was done in a teaching hospital. This was filmed, and plan to get the documentation of this.
I agree with jr2 about a diagnosis before treatment.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222