Surgery Tomorrow

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Tomorrow

Postby small_flower » 14 Feb 2007, 12:03

Hi Folks,
Well....surgery is tomorrow, and I just dont know how to feel about it. My doctor is calling me back later today, so I can ask him some questions, which should help me feel a little better, but all in all, I am not looking forward to the recovery aspect of this procedure. I just dont know what to expect in terms of pain, and the laxatives and pain killers, if Im gonna be able to sit up and do work, when I can drive again....the list goes on and on.
My dad is going with me tomorrow, so that should help. Im hoping that the worst part of the whole thing is getting the IV put in my arm. I hate needles. Image
So, as many before me have, I will chronicle my recovery for you all. I'll probably be posting a lot on here during that time. I have a feeling im going to be lonely, and feeling awfully lazy too. Oh well.
I dont know what time my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, but whenever that is, please think of me, because I will be thinking of all of you. I am glad I found this place, because it makes it easier knowing that others have gone through this sucessfully, and that there will be people I can ask questions to when its over. Thanks for trying to quiet my fears ladies and gents. The next time I write, it should be all over.
Wish me luck :cheer:
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Surgery Tomorrow

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Feb 2007, 16:42

Kate,
we are all one family here on this board. Rest ASSURED that you WILL be in our thoughts and prayers until we hear back from you! Image And PLEASE relax.
I was shocked at how minor the pain was during my recovery. I seem to have had the rockiest recovery, but the actual pain in the arse wasn't bad at all. The only time it really hurt was right when i woke up after the surgery, but they IMMEDIATELY gave me dilaudid (an opiate type drug) and I was FINE. It NEVER hurt like that again. The pain never got as bad, as, say, an anal fissure!!!! Today is the last day you'll have those gd spasms. BE THANKFUL Image
Avoid laxatives, but do what the surgeon tells you to do. Keep right on eating fiber and drinking water right after the operations, so you want have any constipation from any painkillers you get.
I was back driving in one week after my surgery and back at work in less than two weeks, but the first few days were rough because i was still a bit weak.
I KNOW your anxiety but good lord, girl, you are gonna be RID of the fissure in a few weeks, and rid of the fissure pain in less than 24 HOURS Image
I promise, no hour will go by without me thinking of you until I hear back from you after the operation!! :bounce: That's a promise! I'm on pins and needles already.
Your co-hort,
Hugh Image
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 14 Feb 2007, 18:55

I will keep you in my prayers! It will be great to have it over and done with and you can focus on healing. The pain probably won't be much worse than the fissure itself and it will be from healing a least. Try to stay on top of the pain with the meds they give you. Don't wait until you are desperately in pain (like I have done) and let it get too far.
When I have to take pain meds that can be constipating I try to increase the fiber and flax/fish oil to keep things as comfy as possible.
I am glad your dad will be with you and hope you can have a relaxing recovery with good people to look after you.
I think anticipation of anything we dread or are fearful of is worse than the actual thing. When I am going through something difficult I try to remind myself that this won't last forever!
You are going to do great! So don't worry and look forward to getting this behind you!
God Bless,
Lecia

Postby Cheryl » 14 Feb 2007, 23:39

Hey Kate...
sorry i havent been round much for you lately, i know this is the time that you need us most.
Please remember that it is your stress that will worry you the most, like Hugh said the pain in recovery is really not that bad. really :)
I will be thinking of you i promise, and i am sending big hugs your way!
Dont for get about my experience with my stupid lax's dont take too many, it may cause trouble. Id stick to high fibre soft boiled vegies, grilled fish, soups etc..
take a softener and just 'relax' babe, you are going to be just fine.
If you feel up to it, jump on here once your home and we'll walk you thru it step by step.
I think the worst thing you can do is panic... im sending lots of relaxed vibes your way Image
I cant wait for this to be all over for you - you will be a new gal in a couple of days, i know it!! :cheer:
Love Cheryl
XXX
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22