Colace Question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Colace Question

Postby 357Magnum » 23 Aug 2012, 06:30

Hey Gang,
My doctor gave me some colace. I was symptom free for over a month, on Monday I had some bleeding...... I decided to take some colace on Monday night ( 1 pill) so tuesday wouldnt be so bad, tuesday came around and i had no urge to evacuate. So tuesday around noon i took one more, and then took another around 9 or ten tuesday night. woke up wednesday, evacuated with a soft one, no issues. went for a walk, came home and had a salad for lunch, after lunch i had a big time urge to evacuate again, this usually doesnt happen, once a day kind of guy.
when i went it was mostly liquid (sorry for the TMI), and i can only attribute this to the colace. my question is, for the people who colace works for, is this a normal experience when first taking colace? did it happen because I had three pills of colace before evacuation? will it be less liquidy with only 2 pills? I was thinking of taking a single pill everyday or even every other day, as to avoid " blow outs".
i understand everybody reacts to things differently, wanted to know if there are any like stories out there
357Magnum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Colace Question

Postby jr2 » 25 Aug 2012, 21:22

yes, it's really hard to say because there are so many factors to consider. The number of Colace you took plus what you ate, etc. Really the only way to get it all sorted is through trial and error (unfortunately). For some folks just one Colace is too strong for them. For others taking 10 of them has no effect. It can actually take weeks to months to figure out a regimen that works consistently for you. And even then things don't always work out the same every day.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Colace Question

Postby DMBIG » 14 Sep 2012, 14:43

357, I had very similar issues with using colace for the last 6 mos. My new CRS told me to stop taking colace and intake the following instead:
2 spoons oat bran + 2 spoons flax seed meal
I mix the spoonfuls with juice and down it like a shot. I do two servings a day. Amazing results the next day. Stools with good bulk, no gas, and super soft. Plus oats and flax and good for you and I don't you can say the same about colace...give it a shot (literally)!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3