2 teaspoons Oat Bran + 2 teaspoons Flax Seed Meal

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

2 teaspoons Oat Bran + 2 teaspoons Flax Seed Meal

Postby DMBIG » 12 Sep 2012, 19:32

Hi Everyone, this is my first post. I've been suffering with a nasty fisure now for approx 9 mos. Got it after a difficult bowel movement whichsent my life into a tailspin ever since. It took several doctors until I got diagnosed properly. Started treating with Nifedipine and taking 3 colace pills a day. BMs got softer, but never great often gassy and watery. My fissure healed a couple times in the last 4 mos, but only to retear after what felt like normal bowel movements. The CRS I was consulting with at the time recommended Botox. Thats when I started researching in depth about my options and came across this website. Long story short, decided to visit a new CRS for a second opinion. New CRS ruled out botox and any sort of surgery and said my fissure was healing (he stuck his scope down there as I winced in pain!). I didn't understand how he could say I was healing because I was still having a great deal of pain during and post BMs!. He told me to stop taking colace and recommend i go the more natural route with the oat bran and flax seed meal in addition to writing me a prescription of nitroglycerin ointment just to change things up a bit. So that same day I started adding the oat bran and flax seed to juice. Continued every day, sometimes twice a day. And BAM(!), my bowel movement improved ten fold within a day and it seemed to be coming out very soft and consistent. Also, I didn't need to strain as much...one push and everything would evacuate at once. I've now been pain free for about a week and it really does feel very different this time around. So try this recipe with you morning/afternoon cofee or tea or juice and ween off the colace and miralax and see the results. You will be amazed and you fissure may start to heal like mine seems to be doing. BEST OF LUCK!
DMBIG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: 2 teaspoons Oat Bran + 2 teaspoons Flax Seed Meal

Postby richibeno » 19 Sep 2012, 14:30

hi can i put flax seed in to any thing
i.e porrige ect
thanks
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Neen » 19 Sep 2012, 16:12

from what I have heard, yes ,you can sprinkle flaxseed onto and into anything to your liking.
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Sep 2012, 11:10

Hi, :)
I am also a huge fan of flax seed. It's truly a friendly fibre addition to your diet and I actually buy the seeds in bulk and grind them myself, then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. I eat it with pretty much anything! Buy either the gold or brown variety and it's better digested when grinded rather than eating the whole seeds.
It's great sprinkled on cereal (porridge too!) / mixed in smoothies/ I add it to sauces/ gravy/ sprinkle on pasta dishes. It can be used in baking too. It doesn't have a particularly distinctive flavour so works great when blended in with pretty much most things. It's a great source of both soluble and insoluble fibre as well as Omega 3 and from what I've researched, not only helps the bowels but helps fight other nasty medical ailments too! Definately recommend anyone to try this too....I do take a dose of Lactulose a day but pretty much rely on this and Extra Virgin Olive Oil to produce those smooth BM's!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again